Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

remote management of 3D CAD workstation

Status
Not open for further replies.

GaborHun

Mechanical
May 27, 2008
HU
Does anyone have experience with the use of VNC or similar remote management software for accessing 3D CAD workstations?
My problem is that the client machine (the manager) has an integrated video card, and the host machine (3D workstation) has a Quadro card. The 3D models' rotation is so slow and lags so badly that it renders the whole thing useless.
If there is a remote management util that does the 3D math using the host machine (Quadro card) and sends the calculated data to the client machine to only display the results, than a cheap PC could be used as the remote manager computer. Does anyone have similar experience? Any suggestions? TIA

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It should be possible to do remote execution of administrative tasks on a cheap PC because a command line window doesn't need a lot of bandwidth. By contrast, manipulating large images with lots of color depth requires all the bandwidth you can get.

You need two real CAD workstations to do what you seem to intend, basically running the actual CAD application remotely.

Even given that, you will likely be disappointed in the performance because of bandwidth limits in the network connecting the two computers. If you don't have Gigabps-class hardware all the way, you're screwed.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

We have no problem with Powerpoint, runs like a charm via remote management. But as Mike pointed out, 3D CAD use requires computing power. I'll test it between two workstations. I think the solution will be installing a decent 3D card to the machine from witch I try to manage the CAD workstation.

The question is whether the internet connection is fast enough to stream full screen video. Compression and lag will be a factor. I have tried it in the past using usual high speed internet connections, software VPN, and Remote Desktop and the results were terrible. (In fact, the internet connections were above average high speed such as FiOS).

David

I've done this very thing before using software called Teamviewer. It's free to try and has yielded OK results, and even has apps for controlling your computer from your smartphone (not that useful, IMO). You can do things like reducing the color depth and resolution of the remote computer to improve streaming performance and achieve ~5 FPS (my experience). The speeds aren't great, but are useable. I use the setup to run simple FEA on a computer in the back while continuing other work on the computer at my desk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back