Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote telemetry for watertower level control

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roktgr

Mechanical
Feb 9, 2007
US
Hello,

We are looking to redo our current water-tower water level controls. Our current controls have numerous issues both in the communications and the wiring. Rather then run new communication wires (very old facility and not easy to run wiring) I would like to use a remote telemetry system, wireless, to communicate the water level from the tower to the PLC that would turn the water pump on/off in the well-house. Another engineer on the project is having concerns about the reliability of the telemetry type systems. I don't have any prior experience with these types of system but if they work well for remote systems (over several miles) it would seem the system would handle 300 yards just fine.

So the question is how is the reliability on these systems? Any typical issues?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have had extremely good results using 1-watt spread spectrum transmitter/receiver units over distances of up to 15-miles. The units I have used are either Phoenix Contact or Ametek labeled devices. Both are the same, except for color, and provide one 4-20ma. transmission and two contact closure signals. The latest versions have the ability to measure received signal strength. A Phoenix Contact set cones with a transmitter, a receiver and two antennas with connecting coax. and sells for $1500. Each end requires 12 to 24 volts DC power. For 300 feet I would buy the set and install in two NEMA 4 boxes with the antennas mounted to the box. For more elaborate installations I have purchased antennas, sometime Yagis, and as many feet of coax as I needed. These are not two-way devices, they work only one-way and require pretty much line-of-sight. I have used many them inside a power plant without troubles. If needed, multiple receivers, at scattered locations can be used to monitor the same information. I have also had a situation where multiple scattered transmitters transmitted info to a central location. At the receiving end I had one antenna and one coax and split the signals to a bunch of receivers.
Steve

Remote telemetry is standard operating practice in the municipal business. There are no issues with reliablity.

roktgr,

What country are you in ? In the UK we regularly deploy radio for reservior level control etc. Not sure if our hardware would be available or legal in the US

US, there should be no problem getting good hardware, just needed some feedback on the systems before we proceed. Thanks

any suggestions on a brand or size of solar panel for such a system? The ones I have listed on my spec template are no longer in production and I'm not sure the companies are in business either. It will be used to charge a battery that powers the transmitter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back