Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Removal of Cured Powder Paint 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cervantis

Mechanical
Mar 18, 2009
US
Does anyone know of a solvent that would removed cured power paint. We have a set of cooling coils that are covered. The manufacture recommends new coils. Just making sure there is not something out there that would work without having to do a cut and replace.

Thanks,
Cervantis

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Here are two possibilities; if the coils are not Aluminum one option is to find a furniture refinisher with a tank large enough for the coil. The coil can be rotated to strip the coating piecemeal. If the refinisher uses a solvent base stripper he maybe able to clean Al.

If the coils are steel the second is to find a motor rewinding facility that has a burn off oven. If the oven is large enough he can take the coating off all at one time.

Do you have any idea what the coating material is?

The coils are aluminum we think, may be copper, who knows. The powder paint is industrial, and this cooler is located near the paint booth area. The ideas you shared will help. Acetone does not work. Methelyne Cholide did not do anything but take the "sheen" off of the surface. But I like the idea of taking it off, and soaking it or cooking it. We thought about a high pressure washer, but changed our minds because of the bending of the metal or the holes it would create.

I will pass your thoughts along, and please accept my kindest thanks and appreciation for your input and time.

Best,

Cervantis

Hi, Cervantis.
As UncleSyd shared, heat destruction may be feasible. Though you'd need to restrict your oven bake to less than 375-400F, given the risk of aluminum annealing. You would then have to follow up with a very light oxide blast, some form of mechanical cleaning that avoids distortion. Do you what the powder coat is? Phenolics, for example, can be thermally stable to 400F, while epoxies resist heat to about 350F. Urethane, though, is much lower in heat stability; nylon, much higher. Your coil manufacturer may be right, Cervantis. If you feel the coating failed prematurely, I'd be pleased to review your situation in more detail.
Best wishes.

William Gunnar

Sorry I have not gotten back. I got pulled into another project on UV paint fading issues on aluminum.

I will check with our supplier who can answer the question. I think however that our plant manager has bitten the bullet and is going to cut and replace, and move forward.

John T. Davis

Great Suggestion. Plus I like the INDUSTRIAL COATINGS website also. Thanks for your help. The peelaway is also a great option on a home that I have. I have to fix a bad contractor paint job that I was done a couple of years ago on one of my homes. I have not heard anymore noise on the coils. They must have found a solution.

Best,

Cervantis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back