Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remove assigned material

Status
Not open for further replies.

cubalibre000

Mechanical
Jan 27, 2006
IT
I'm not able to remove assigned material to the part, also via Part Cleanup.
Idea ?

Thank you...

Using NX 8 and TC9.1

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The problem is that I don't have the green 'v' on some matirials. It's seam that the material is not more in the list, but assigned. I will check in the local material assigned.

Thank you.

Thank you...

Using NX 8 and TC9.1

Hi,
I don't want add new material, but remove assigned material.
Solution when materials aren't more in the material database is remove from local material.

Thank you...

Using NX 8 and TC9.1

Are you saying that if a material is NOT included in the default 'Library Materials', that this material will NOT be shown in the 'Local Materials' when you open a part which was assigned a material that was NOT in the default material library? I'm sorry, but I was unable to verify that this is true.

To test this, I ceated a simple model, assigned it a material and saved it. I then removed that material from the system supplied default 'Library Materials' files, then restarted NX and verified that the material was no longer available on my system. I then opened the part I previously created and checked that again the material could still not be found in the 'Library Materials'. However, when I changed to the 'Local Materials' the original material assigned to the model was still listed, which means that using the procedure outlined by loka23, you can easily remove the material assignment.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

John,
I didn't say this, maybe my English is always misunderstand.
I add a material like ABS to the body, then we have renamed the ABS material to ABS UNI ISO 1041/1.
When I opened the part, to assign a different material, no green 'v' was in the material list.
I discovered that the old material was present under local material.

Which is the supported method to rename material ?
Actually I use notepad ++, because I didn't fine any NX command to rename material name.

Thank you...

Using NX 8 and TC9.1

If you renamed the material, the system only knows that if a part that's open matches a material in the library if the names match. The Material Library does NOT remember which files materials were assigned to and therefore have no way of knowing that if a material is renamed that it needs to find all the files where that material had been used so that those name could be updated as well. NX just doesn't do that level of associativity or updating.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

John,
I'm not sure about all you wrote. NX maintains associativity between the material assigned, because if you change (apart the name) something, which the correct option in the customer default, NX ask you to update or not the material. Maybe with an ID or Label can NX mantain this relation from the old and new name.

Thank you...

Using NX 8 and TC9.1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back