Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remove small gaps/defects that are hard to find

Status
Not open for further replies.

caro06

Marine/Ocean
May 6, 2009
FR
Hi,

I am new using flow works, and I have a problem putting boundary conditions for an internal analysis ("Face<1> is not laying on the boundary between solid and fluid region"). Check geometry gives me a 0 m^3 fluid volume, but I can't find where my solid is not closed.

In the help topic, they give the following tip : "Add mates where applicable. This may remove small gaps/defects which may be hard to find". Problem is, I am not english and I don't understand what "mate" means apparts from "buddy"... Is it some kind of envelope that would fill in the gaps ?

If anybody knows some way to solve my problem, all the ideas are welcome !

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Mates are used to define how an assembly is constructed. So, if you have two faces you want to be in contact, you use the mates tool in assembly to define them as coincident.

If you're doing it on a single part, mates do not apply, and you probably have a geometry error somewhere. Did you make the part as surfaces instead of a solid? You may have a bad surface. Be wary of fillets that come to a very sharp (tangent) point too, they can mess with FEA and flow analysis. The simpler the model the better!

Ok, so the mates are the constraints, thanks for your answer. I've checked them all though.

My model is pretty simple, mostly made of pipes. But I figured out that sometimes when my model is too big it doesn't work very well... It may be linked to my computer capacity.

Anyway, thanks for your time !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back