Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Removing shoring from a reinforced concrete slab

Status
Not open for further replies.

derecha1

Civil/Environmental
Mar 9, 2004
US
When is it generally appropriate to remove shoring from reinforced concrete construction. The case I am specifically asking about is a one-way slab supported by reinforced concrete walls. The 7 day breaks have returned at a little over 3,200 psi of 4,000 psi specified at 28 days.

Is there a rule of thumb to go by?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The South Carolina DOT allows falsework for elevated slabs (typically bridge decks that can be similar to your description) to be removed when test cylinder compressive strength is 75% of design strength. No superimposed loads are allowed on the slab until 90% of design strength. However the specification requires the test cylinders to be cured under the same conditions as the structure (not in the optimum conditions of the testing lab).

This requirement has a long, successful history.

Did you design the slab? If you did, how much of the design load was self-weight, and how much was due to live loads?

I suspect that you're okay as long as you don't allow any imposed loads on it. But this is a call that the slab's designer should make -

[pacman]

Please see FAQ731-376 for great suggestions on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora. See faq158-922 for recommendations regarding the question, "How Do You Evaluate Fill Settlement Beneath Structures?"

I agree with the first two replies. I wouldn't load it with significant live load until the 28 day breaks come in OK.

As a rule of thumb (depending on the mix design), false work for a soffit or walls supporting vert. load should not be removed until the concrete has reached 90% design strength (14-20 days), walls not supporting vert. load can be stripped at 70% design strength (usually around 6-9 days).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back