Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Removing The Inch Notation In Dimensions 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

shearstrength

Mechanical
Aug 29, 2001
CA
I am currently working with Solidworks 2001.

When I dimension parts in the "Inch System", the inch notation is always displayed with the dimension. (example; 1/2").

I would like to know how I can remove the inch notation from the dimension, so instead of seeing 1/2", I would see 1/2.

Any response is greatly appreciated!!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think that will only give him a result of .50, not 1/2 without the " symbol. I don't think you can display fractions without the " symbol. "Happy the Hare at morning for she is ignorant to the Hunter's waking thoughts."

I'm not 100% sure that you can remove the inch marks from the text, however, if you are writing code to change values, you can overwrite the text and this will accomplish this.
However, if you do this, you loose the ability to have the dimension updated with changes; these will have to be done manually.

What would be the real benefit of removing the Notations? I use Feet and inches every day, and I do not see a real good reason to drop the Notations.

Like Jmagee has pointed out you can manually change the Dims. by going to the properties of the Dimension and then clicking on Modify Text. Where you see <DIM> simply remove this and place in there 1/2. This will give you what you want, but it doesn't update anymore after that. So it really defeats the purpose of using SW.

Regards, Scott Baugh, CSWP :)
George Koch Sons,LLC
Evansville, IN 47714
sjb@kochllc.com

I'm using SW2004...is there a way to remove the inch symbol after fractions. Our title block has a note that says all dimensions are in inches so having the inch symbol after the fraction is redundant...plus we have a checker that is a control freak and he will not let it go by and yes I could type it in but just wondering if anyone has figured out a way to do this by now.

SWCADMAN

I see shearstrength's point. I find that some of my drawings will have a mix of machine dimensions (decimal), and overall structural dimensions (fractional). Which means there will be a mix of decimal dimensions without the "Inch notation" and some with it.

example:
0.500±.001
1/2"

Most machine shops today prefer decimals because with today's way of communication with dwgs, dwgs are sent by PDF or fax. With dwgs reduced, it is sometimes hard to make out some dimensions clearly that are in fractions. It is fairly common to have dim's in decimals with a note in the format stating they are in inches and dims in () are in mm (or the other way around). For showing the inch mark in SW, I can not get my PC to show these marks on my dwgs, or change to show fractions without override.

Chris
Sr. Mechanical Designer, CAD
SolidWorks 05 SP0.1 / PDMWorks 05
ctopher's home site

We only use fractions on some purchased parts...for example a tapered rubber plug size #5 in the McMaster-Carr catalog shows sizes in fractions. So the checker wants the SCD to show the same units as the spec.

CorBlimeyLimey - Thanks for mentioning ANSI STD...I'll use that as leverage to keep the inch symbol for fractions.

SWCADMAN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back