Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

rename a prt and a drw 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

PROCON

Mechanical
Oct 28, 2002
US
I need to rename a prt and a drw. Then have the drw correspond to the new prt. Can this be done? Example: Rev-A.prt and Rev-A.drw renamed to Rev-b.prt and Rev-b.drw. Then open Rev-b.drw and it open with Rev-b.prt not Rev-A.prt.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I believe that as long as both obects are open in Pro/E (i.e. in memory) at the same time, using the rename in Pro/E for the part and drawing will maintain the proper associations.

Matt

Hi,
One thing you could do is save a copy of the part and drawing at rev.level B. After making the copy set all of the features in part A to read only - then close and archive the part and drawing. Now you can make the changes you want to the rev.level B file. If anyone opens "A" by mistake, they will not be able to make modifications - unless the "read only" feature is disabled.

Hope this helps.

JW

P.S.
There is a check box: "copy associated drawings" when you start a new part - you would need to check this box for Pro/E to copy the drawing along with your part.

Set the config.pro option rename_drawings_with_object to both.
Now when you do a save as on the part or assembly, the drawing is copied too (part and drawing must have the same name i.e. bob.prt & bob.drw)

Just to add to what d3ets had said. Make sure you have both files in your working directory (a.prt and a.drw.) and you only need to have a.prt open.

Call up your drawing and part. Rename the part using the radio button "Rename in Session". Activate your drawing, rename using "Rename in Session". Save the drawing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back