Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rename Qty Column in the new BOM 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdybeck

Mechanical
May 14, 2003
US
I am testing SolidWorks 2004 SP 2.1 and I am still seeing that I can't permanently rename the Qty Column in the new SWX BOM. I can rename it so the Config name/Qty is temporarily not displayed, but as soon as the drawing file is completely rebuilt (cntrl Q) the Column name in the BOM reverts right back to how it is out of the box with the addittion of the config name. Am I missing anything? Have I used the correct process to rename? I thought 2.1 was supposed to fix this if it is a bug. Is it still a limitation? The new BOM has frustrated me so far. It has so much promise, but things just weren't cleaned up from the beginning. Maybe I'm just doing something wrong. Any info would be great.

Pete Yodis
Harold Beck and Sons

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It seems the fix only worked if the BOM is based off of the Default config. Any other config name still shows up in the BOM.

I thought this was working fine, until today.

I fixed our templates (which wouldn't previously save the change, but now do)and set them up using the Default config. Maybe the BOM needs to be based off of the same config the template was created from?

Either way, it still needs work.

I just want QTY. to show up as the title in the column. It appears this can't be done if there is more than one configuration present in the assembly model. With just one configuration present QTY. is shown, but as soon as a config is added or present in the assmebly the title of the column automatically changes to "Config Name"/QTY. If you try to change it to anything else, it always reverts back to "Config Name"/QTY. My VAR confirmed this is a problem they are working. My VAR and I both thought this was going to be fixed in 2.1. It seems there should be a regular BOM where configurations are not allowed/shown and another BOM where the config option is turned on. Looks like the fixes won't make it in until at least 3.0. Terrible - the new features that are being advertised in 2004 can't even be used until 6 months later? Ticks me off. I wanted to roll out 2004 to my company with the new BOM ready to go because it allows us to put things like AR (as required) in the qty column for things like greases and loctites. Is there a work around for this in the excel BOM? I haven't been able to do this with the excel BOM. Can anyone help me? And hurry up with the new BOM fixes, SolidWorks. I'm losing my patience.

If you go to the SPR fixed list at SW website. It will list an SPR concerning Quantity not being changed in the BOM Template, but it does not list that in conjunction with Configurations. So if it doesn't work, then I would say it's still a Limitation. The SPR sounds like it fixed the fact you can change the QTY column to say something else, but if you have a Configuration then your just SOL.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [borg2]
CSWP.jpg

faq731-376

I did a search at and found this:

You could get your BOM to look exactly as you want as follows:

1. Edit your BOM template (in excel)
2. add two columns immediately to the right of the "qty" column
3. put "AR" and "QTY" as headings for the new columns (I assume these will
be columns C & D respectively)
4. in the (new) "QTY" column (column D), put an excel formula that points to
the "AR" column if there is any text there, i.e. =IF(ISBLANK(C2),B2,C2).
Copy the formula down from D2 to D200 (or whatever the biggest BOM you
anticipate is)
5. hide the original "qty" column and the "AR" columns (columns B & C)
6. in any part you want listed with quantity "AR", create a custom property
called "AR", and put the text "AR" into that property.

Hope all that make sense.

good luck
Michael

This is from many years ago. There maybe a new solution out there from somebody else....Anybody else have a solution for this?
Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [borg2]
CSWP.jpg

faq731-376

pdybeck

I am not sure If I understand your question correctly, but if I do then this functionality would appear to be fine SP2.1

I remove "QTY" from the cells altogether, I renamed my QTY columns in the Solidworks 2004 type BOM from lets say "CS4-30772-001/QTY" to "-001" and this change stays in place no matter what I am doing to the assembly file, or the drawing file. Changing configs, adding configs, deleting configs, control Q and so on, the bom change stays intact. I would have to say that something else is the issue.

I do not think that using a defualt config is the problem, because I use whatever config I like and it still works for me.

The only known issue with the new bom's I believe, is with balloons, no matter what bom type is used "Top Level Only", "Parts Only" "Indented Assemblies", the balloon item numbers will always return to reflecting the "Top Level Type". Other than that everything seems to work fine, I use it all the time, I just have to use custom balloon callouts until they fix the issue.

John Cole
Sr Mechanical Engineer
Impco Technologies, Inc.

Chancey is right. Thanks for the pointer. It seems as if the period has some functionality to it. When I rename the column for quantity to "QTY" instead of "QTY." the BOM does not automatically put the config name/QTY. notation fpr the title upon rebuild. I guess this was intended, but still should be documented somewhere. Is it? Now, when I rename the column and save the template for the BOM, how do I get the column to remain "QTY" on the saved template. It appears that the column name always reverts back to config name/QTY. when that same template is used in another drawing, or deleted and then re-inserted in the same drawing. Anyone have an answer for this? Also, I have changed the Part Number Column so that it uses the custom file property for Number instead of the default - file name. If I save this BOM template and then re-insert or use it elsewhere, the default Part Number Column shows up as well as the custom Part Number Column that uses the custom file property for Number. I would users here just be able insert a BOM and not have to worry about deleting columns and renaming cells. This should be automatic. Am I missing anything. Thanks for the help.

Pete Yodis
Harold Beck and Sons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back