Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Renaming part, draft & assembly files 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

RFJ

Mechanical
Apr 30, 2003
US
I have an assembly file with multiple parts and sub-assemblies. The assembly, part & sub-assemblies have draft files linked to them. I would like to rename each part file without losing the links to the draft or assembly files. The names for the draft files need to change to the same name as the part files. Have been opening the main assembly and renaming each part file but then I have to go back and open the draft and rename it also. Seems like there should be some way to automatically do this. Using version 15. Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

When I said that I opened each file and renamed it I was using the revision manager. From what I have seen you can open the assembly file and change the name of the parts in the assembly but then you lose your links to the draft files. In the past I changed the names of the parts and went back and changed the name of the draft files to match the part to get the part and draft linked back together. There should be an easier way.

Open up the top level assembly and rename the assembly and all the component parts that you want to rename. Highlight each element that you changed and do a "Where Used" search.

The draft files for each of the files will show up in the bottom pane of Revision Manager. You can select and rename each draft file from there.

A more stable approach would be to rename from bottom up. Open up each draft file of each component part. Rename the draft file and part, do a where used on the part, and when the assembly shows up in the bottom pane, select set action to update. Repeat for each part, then subassembly, then top level assembly.

--Scott

For some pleasure reading, try FAQ731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back