Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rendering Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKIAK

Structural
Mar 18, 2008
US
So, I've been working on this model for a long time. It worked fine until a couple days ago now it won't render right. 2D wireframe looks fine but any 3D rendering looks like the image I attached. Since this supposed to be used for all disiplines to make sure everything fits together and to help our client make sure everything lays out as they want, its important that it is viewable. It prints just as it looks on screen. Any suggestions for what this might be doing?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi SKIAK,

I see you're using the 3DOrbit command, turn it off, and then try the plain old render command. My suspiscion is you may have the clipping planes on, or have your perspective set on, and you're just too close. Turning orbit off and then using the plain old render command should tell you where you are.

HTH
Todd

There is a newer driver version but the IT guy isn't here today so I'll check that Monday.

The render command produces the same image as the 3DOrbit, the only way to return the shapes to normal is in a 2Dwireframe. I've tried messing around with the 3DConfig, dropping the fps and unchecking the boxes to no avail.

So, got a new driver for the video card today and its doing the same thing. The tech guy suggests there is a problem with the files? A line drawn in a new file seems to look OK, but a line drawn in the old file looks off... hmm.

Hi SKIAK,

It's not difficult for a 3D model to become corrupt. If it's a solid model, run the 3DEdit command and the "Check" option - this will let you know whether or not it's valid shapemanager object - if it's not, you may have found your issue.

Good Luck
Todd

Well, I don't think they're 3D solids (sorry, not usually a CAD guy)... I went Format -> Structural Members -> Wizard to make a section, then used "beamtooltolinework" to convert the lines I drew into my section (is there a better way)?. This was using AutoCAD Architecture 2008. If the file is corrupt... then what? S.O.L., start over? [surprise]

Hi SKIAK,

You can try to audit the drawing, or do the empty drawing file and insert the offending file - once in a while these tricks work, short of that, you may be S.O.L. [sad]

Sorry...

Yeppers, tried those. Although it shouldn't be too bad to re-draw... the linework is already in there, just going to copy that into a new file and redo that beamtooltolinework command... just wanted to avoid it if it could be fixed. Another stellar Monday. [thumbsup2]

SO... I think I found a solution for this. Not exactly sure why it worked but it did. I was using topos and used the drape command to make a ground surface. The linework in the topo file was located at some 113,000' away from 0,0. I had left it there because thats where all the civil and mechanical layouts lined up to so I aligned the structural file up with those. I ended up moving the linework in the topo to 0,0 (along with everything else) and it seems to be working. I'm a little confused since it doesn't seem to be using less memory, but it must have just been bogged down with the large numbers?

Hi Skiak,

Easily. The further things get away from 0,0, the more calculations AutoCAD has to perform and the larger the numbers the more complex yada yada yada... You get the idea.

Good find, glad you were able to work it out. [smile]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back