Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

renumbering cut list items 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

adampunch

Mechanical
Sep 6, 2006
US
is there a way to renumber the items in a cut list table? I have a table and i want to change the numbers for some items. I can drag rows up and down the table, but the item numbers follow with them.

SW 2008 Office Professional SP 4.0
Intel Xeon 3.40GHz
3 GB RAM
Windows XP SP 2

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Adam,

This is a real pain in the rear end. The BOM table feature and Cut List feature do not necessarily work the same way. In both, you can quickly move items up and down the list, but only the BOM table feature allows you to directly sort on the item # column (right click, sort ascending).

Unfortunately, this doesn't apply to the cut list because it's only one part. One method I have used is to order the rows the way you feel necessary then right click on another column (usually based on length) and "right click" -- "click sort" -- "click ascending". This immediately numbers them in the correct order. However, I have run into the problem of it ordering both the column I picked and the item # column. If all else fails, you can break the link in the item number column and fill in your own item number. The balloons will still recognize those numbers as well.

If you or anyone else discovers a way of sorting DIRECTLY on the item column within a cut list, I'm all ears.

Hope this helps a bit.

Kyle Chandler

"To the Pessimist, the glass is half-empty. To the Optimist, the glass is half-full. To the Engineer, the glass is twice as large as it needs to be!"

okay, kyle. Thanks! I ordered the rows how i wanted then sorted by quantity (which are all 1) and SW renumbered the items. Still pretty goofy, but it worked.

SW 2008 Office Professional SP 4.0
Intel Xeon 3.40GHz
3 GB RAM
Windows XP SP 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back