Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reorganizing Inventor Files

Status
Not open for further replies.

aardvarkdw

Mechanical
May 25, 2005
US
I just got asked to clean up someone else's mess, oh what fun...

Here's the current situation. People have created their own project files and individual folders to house their individual portions of the larger assembly. Some of these folders are buried 3-4 levels deep in the file structure. Parts have been linked from various different locations even different drives. Some parts have been given the same name as other parts and placed into the individual project folders but are different. Generally, it is FUBAR.

Here is what I am needing to do. I need to consolidate these files into a central location under a single project. The project is the easy part, I can just create a new file. What I am concerned about is how to move the files without breaking too many links. I want move everything but not have to go back into each assembly and drawing and update each one.

Is this possible? How would y'all go about this? I have my ideas but I would appreciate yours. I am thinking that a pack'n'go would be the best bet.

Put on your thinking caps everyone! I would like to hear your suggestions as well as your concerns because you may think of a new problem that I haven't thought of already.

David

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We don't currently have vault. We are using IV8 right now (I am trying to convince people to upgrade) and buying additional software is not feasible in the short term. I need to do something, if something is possible, soon as we are getting new people who will be working with these files and we can't afford to have them perpetuating the problem once they start working with the assembly files (not to mention the learning curve and time it will take to get them up to speed on the current "file structure"). Thanks for the reply.

At our company Vault is intigrated within Inventor. You may want to double check. I'm not sure which version it was started.
We are in the same boat as you. Our only fix is to train all users on Vault and working from the same server.

Chris
Systems Analyst, I.S.
SolidWorks 06 4.1/PDMWorks 06
AutoCAD 06
ctopher's home (updated 06-21-06)

francoI,

The majority of our files are already named by their numeric part number, so that really isn't an issue. There are a few assemblies that fall into that category but not many. The main issue is how to safely condense all of the files into a single, or at most 2 or 3, folders without breaking every link. Renaming files would be detrimental as we already are using our part number system. Also we are using IV8 and so that tool can't help us either.

Chris,

We may have gotten Vault 1.3 with the inventor software, I don't know. I can almost gaurantee that IT will not let us install it if we do have it. If we manage to get IV11, we will start using vault (I will make sure of it) but in the mean time I need to come up with a solution without it.

I assume your task incorporates the design of a machine created by many people. Below are just a few steps i would check before i would alter anything

Step 1 Think big!

At first determine the structure of the machine and try to make a hierarchic model of it with Top level, sub assemblies and sub-sub assemblies just on a piece of paper.

Once the structure of the model is visible you will find it much easier to prepare bottom-up handling of all the files.

Just start at the lowest levels of your hierarchic scheme and work you way up to the top.

Step 2 Backup!
Make a backup of all files to be altered on the network or burn a DVD.

Step 3 check for any .ipn (presentation) files, since these are most likely to crash when underlaying parts are changed.
If there are some of these .ipn files then run a testcase first and see if it stays ok.

Step 3 The actual job!

Without the vault, best next thing is to use design-assistant for each sub-assembly 2D drawing. When activating the drawing, all underlaying 3D parts are shown.
Start renaming/replacing bottom-up with all nested parts and press the save button regularly.

Once a sub-assembly is done, rename and replace all underlaying 2D drawings of parts in Windows explorer and open them in Inventor. It will ask for the missing file. restore it with the new file manually.

Continue with other sub-assemblies until the top-level assembly has been reached.

Good Luck,

Martin

Unigraphics NX4,NX3,NX2,R17
Inventor 10,9,8,7
Solid Edge 10,9,8
Solid Works 2000,98
Mechanical Desktop 4,3
Autocad 2004DX,2000,R14, R12
Teamcenter 9

Martin,

Thanks alot for your reply. Yes, you hit the nail on the head of what I am working with. Using Design Assistant was my second plan if I couldn't just pack everything and consolidate it that way. Good point about writing down the file structure hierarchy ahead of time. Is it better to move files in DA from the bottom up or from the top down?

See my post above first

I doubt pack and go will work as a first step, because you have files without unique naming.

However, it will give some benefit when collecting all data per sub-assembly starting from the lowest level. (don't forget to use the proper projectfile once you collect your data with it)

Inventor 10,9,8,7
Solid Edge 10,9,8
Solid Works 2000,98
Mechanical Desktop 4,3
Teamcenter 9

David,

In 3D the only way to handle a job properly is to think TOP-DOWN and work BOTTOM-UP.

Good luck again

Martin

Inventor 10,9,8,7
Solid Edge 10,9,8
Solid Works 2000,98
Mechanical Desktop 4,3
Teamcenter 9

Yeah...It sounds like my fears and suspicions were all true. It also sounds like I am going to have a lot of pain, tears and hardwork ahead of me. Thanks for the advice. After all, I remember someone around here saying,"If you couldn't take a joke, why did you join up?" or something along those lines!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back