Repair Drilled hole on body of gate valve per ASME section VIII Div.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

HF2085

Materials
Dec 8, 2014
US
Greeting Experts

our shop drilled seat lube holes on the wrong side of an valve body. Once they realized it, they welded up the 1/8” holes that go through the body into the seat pocket. The hole may have went through on one of the side plates to hub corner welds. customer inspector is stating that Section VIII does not allow plug welds
I am not sure if the welding of the drilled hole should be called a plug weld.

My question :

Is this repair define as a plug weld in ASME sec VIII ?
please reference me to related paragraph for this repair.

Thank you all in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

From Sec VIII-Div 1

"UW-17 PLUG WELDS
(a) Plug welds may be used in lap joints, in reinforcements around openings and in nonpressure structural attachments. They shall be properly spaced to carry their proportion of the load, but shall not be considered to take more than 30% of the total load to be transmitted."

I think there is restriction in use of plug welds.

On the other hand consider inspection openings with threaded plugs.

"UG-46-INSPECTION OPENINGS

(i) When a threaded opening is to be used for inspection or cleaning purposes, the closing plug or cap shall
be of a material suitable for the pressure and no material shall be used at a temperature exceeding the maximum
temperature allowed in this Division for that material. The thread shall be a standard taper pipe thread except
that a straight thread of at least equal strength may be used if other sealing means to prevent leakage are provided"

So please discuss with Inspector whether threaded plug may be used instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back