Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Repair errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJ2013

Structural
Feb 19, 2011
US
Actually, posted this same question on the wrong forum at first....

A friend is working on an assembly drawing at work (she got that assembly drawing from someone else) during which solid works tells her the design needs to be REBUILT (I guess this is because of conflicts in references or mates). She does her best addressing the issue and has used the REBUILD command repeatedly but the software keeps asking her to rebuild. It's like a never ending loop. She'd redone the design several times but runs into this brick wall all the time.

Would appreciate some advice very much!

JJ

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Try doing a Ctrl-Q its a force rebuild... if that does not fix it your going to have look deeper into the parts and sub-assemblies as to where or what is not rebuilding.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
Berry Plastics
Cad Admin\Design Engineer
GEASWUG Greater Evansville Area SWUG Leader
"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

Sounds to me like there may be some circular references. Here are a couple threads on the subject:
thread559-211837
thread559-258968

-Dustin
Professional Engineer
Pretty good with SolidWorks

Thank you so much. I've rebuilt several times to no avail. The the rebuild icon doesn't go away. I keep seeing a large # of suffix->?. Can you provide step-by-step instructions on how to solve and update features after I have opened the assembly? Where do I see the update path first of all and then what are steps after that?
Appreciate your valuable advice very much.
JJ

Well... the -> means there are incontext references. The ? means the reference is some how missing. It knows there is supposed to be one... it just can't solve it. This may be because files were renamed improperly... or the assembly was saved as improperly.

Expand out the parts and their features. You will see which specific features are incontext ( > icon). Right click on those features and select "list external reference" (or similar wording). This will tell you an assembly that your parts were created in context of... my guess is it won't be your current assembly. You can edit the sketches to delete any incontext relations... don't actually delete sketch lines, delete sketch relations. You can recreate these relations in the context of your new assembly.

If the naming was the issue, I would recommend renaming the files the same way it was done before. Rename them back to original. Then rename them to your desired name using SolidWorks Explorer with the "where used" check box selected.

-Dustin
Professional Engineer
Pretty good with SolidWorks

Thank you for your feedback. The assembly is a steel truss with changes made to the gap at the joint where pairs of "web members" meet on the "chord" to enable a more robust weldment.

I recommend you break the reference... if your not sure how I would research the help... its always best to try there first.

List External References\Select Break reference... if you want the part to update, then you need to learn more about in-contexting, because you seem to be in the situation most people get into when they are not sure about these commands. They can be very benefical if done properly, but can cause tremendous amount of grief if not done properly.

Please review this process I came up with years ago when I was doing SW automation with In-contexted parts -
The bad thing is there are no step-by-step process to fix this, its going to require some understanding from you and your coworker to work out this problem. Read the help and some online tutorials and that will help you understand the process and how SW thinks when In-contexting.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
Berry Plastics
Cad Admin\Design Engineer
GEASWUG Greater Evansville Area SWUG Leader
"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

Hi Scott,
Another silly question on my part; as a larger gap is opened up between the two web members, the dimensions of the members change commensurately but nothing else does. I would imagine that disregarding the rebuild errors won't work as one needs to drill down into this more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back