Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

repair welding procedure 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

251CWI

Structural
Feb 21, 2013
MT
WILL ABS REQUIRE ME TO HAVE A REPAIR WELDING PROCEDURE IF I HAVE TO TO DO A REPAIR FOUND BY UT. WELDING ON PRIMARY STRUCTURAL BUTT WELD...WILL THE ORIGINAL WELDING PROCEDURE BE SUFFICENT?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Please don't type with CAPITAL LETTERS. Yes, you should be able to use the orgininal welding procedure specification, provided it was qualified for use, to repair this weld.

Often times customers require more than a WPS to make repairs. Methods of excavation, methods used to ensure complete removal of defects, follow up NDE, etc, are often part of a 'Repair Procedure'.

There are also additional requirements for repair procedures in AWS based on loading conditions, some of which will require approval by The Engineer.

ABS is a funny organization and many of their rules are a little "grey". I would pose this question directly to your surveyor and see what he has to say about it. You might want to get the answer in writing so they don't change their mind on you after the fact.

No disrespect intended, but how many metal fabricators are using inspectors and QC managers to do their welding engineering? Because this kind of question should never have to be asked.

Sad to say, but a lot of them do.

The size of the company actually doing the fabrication is getting smaller and smaller. That means the organization doing the actual work has a smaller staff to support the manufacturing effort.

Large organizations can afford to have a large support infrastructure. The small lean manufacturer has fewer people wearing more hats whether they are qualified to wear the hat and take on that responsibility or not. Many large manufacturers use GE as their business model: subcontract as much as possible to whoever submits the lowest price. If that means going offshore, all the better. They may not be able to read the drawings or speak the same language, but what the hey, their's is the lowest price.

My experince has been that many individuals assigned the role of the "welding engineer" are ill prepared for the roll or the responsibility. In many small companies the inspector or the QC manager may be the individual with the strongest back ground in welding.

Am I advocating for the inspector or the QC manager to be the "welding engineer?" No, but he/he may be the most qualified in a lean manufacturing setting.

Best regards - Al

Brimstoner
Often most smaller companies (especially in the Marine Industry)will use the NDT level 3 as their welding "Engineer". Since we are the only ones in many cases,within the organization that understand enough about about the processes and science behind it to make even semi-rational decisions. That is why many of us rely on you guys for assistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back