Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Repair wood truss with light gage steel framing? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaultSoo

Structural
Jun 16, 2011
US
Has anyone ever used light gage steel framing to repair a damaged truss? Apartment buildng had a fire, burned through bottom chord between panel points. Contractor suggested applying 18 ga metal stud to each side after piecing in 2x4. Would this work?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have seen this type of damage repaired using a 2x4 each side of the chord, lapping each end and nailing through. No reason why a pair of metal studs wouldn't work if they are adequate to resist the required force and can be connected adequately to the chord.

If the trusses were prefabricated by a truss fabricator, you should probably get his thoughts on what to do.

BA

I would be concerned with fire protection requirements using the light gage metal. Might need an extra layer of 5/8" rock on the lid...

Better check it out first...

Mike McCann
MMC Engineering
Motto: KISS
Motivation: Don't ask

If the only damaged element is a tension member, I see no reason why you would not use material to be in-kind. As long as there is enough room for proper nail fastening and the nearby joints arent damaged, I'd tell him to splice it with 2x4 each side with structural adhesive and proper nailing. If its one or two-family dwelling, the IRC has a table for fastening splices and sistering of members.

Now, if it were a compression member, Id replace the members and create a "shell" around the damaged area with structural plywood (both sides), nailed and glued to stabilize for buckling.

-Robert Miller, E.I.T.
KPA Structural Engineers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back