Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Repairs to #6 fuel oil tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paperpete

Mechanical
May 13, 2003
US
I am not sure that this is the right forum for this question. If any of you feel that there is a better one please respond and let me know.
I have a problem with a 70,000 gal oil tank. The sheetmetal roof is corroded. Actually a few small holes has developed (approx. 1/8" diameter). When the top manhole was opened and I looked with a light and a mirror I could see that the structural members holding up the pitched sheet metal roof appeared to in great shape. The walls of the tank also appeared to be in good condition. The problem I am facing is how to replace or repair the roof. I have recieved a quote for approximately $18,000 just to clean it!. I dont think that welding on top of this tank is a good idea unless it is completetly cleaned out. It may be possible to put a new sheetmetal on top of the old and fasten it down in some other way but welding.Could anyone give me some guidance or recommend a reputable company that could take on a job like this in the North East (Mass).
Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If the problem is underside corrosion, covering it may not be in your best interests.

If it is topside corrosion, you could add an aluminmum dome roof over the top of it, I think without taking the tank out of service.

Have you considered removing the roof and replacing with an aluminium geodesic dome roof. This will give you a maintenance free roof system and could be installed within 12-16 weeks of order.

If you require further info e-mail me : quinn@vacono.fsbusiness.co.uk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back