Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

replace a part/component in drawing

Status
Not open for further replies.

skiwindsurf

Mechanical
May 23, 2006
US
Hi, experts;

I am having this trouble:

First, I built an assembly named assembly_original.
Then, I used this assembly to create a drawing called drawing_A.
Then, I copied assembly_original, and modified it as assembly_modified.
Since assembly_original has not changed, drawing_A will not change.
Now I want drawing_A to use assembly_modified as the model, instead of assembly_original. This way I will have the changes made in assembly_modified reflected in drawing_A. How can I do this?

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

File -> Open -> Single click drawing_A -> Click the references box -> double click assembly_original under "New References" -> OK -> Open

Not ENTIRELY sure this will work, but try this (it's reversable): as you're opening the part, click off "references" in the dialog box before actually opening. Double click on the reference you want to change. Then you can browse to the file you want to use as a reference. I just tested this and it worked on a simple two part assembly.

Alternatively, I think you can save the drawing as assembly_modified.slddrw, although I am not sure.

If you ever want a new dwg and part/assy, based on existing files, open dwg and part/assy at same time.
Go to part/assy, save as new file name. Select yes to update dwg. Go to dwg, do save as to new file name.
Continue work.

Chris
SolidWorks 06 4.1/PDMWorks 06
AutoCAD 06
ctopher's home (updated 10-27-06)

1. Click on drawing_A. Do not open it.
2. Click on References button (below Cancel button).
3. Double-click on assembly_original under New Path Name.
4. Select assembly_modified and click Open.
5. Click OK and click Open.

Your drawing should reference assembly_modified.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back