Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Replace old Comtors

Status
Not open for further replies.

MfgEngDave

Industrial
Jul 14, 2010
US
I am an entry level manufacturing engineer and have not been in industry long enough to know all my options for measuring tools. Right now we have a range of these from .4375-4.125 over 50 gages. If you dont know a what a comtor is check picture... They are basicly a plug that expands that hooks up to an amplifier that tells you how far out your bore is. I would like to replace them with less tools. Our company manufactures drilling rigs and currently we make about 3-4 rigs a month so we are not high production. What kind of tool would be simular to the comtors yet bring my company into the 21st century? Is there a better tool for the job of measuring honed holes?Any ideas, questions, comments, concerns?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Is there a particular problem with the existing gages that you're trying to solve, or do you just not like them because they're old?

A Google search for "bore gage" will show you that the technology for measuring the diameter of a hole hasn't changed much, other than you might get a digital read out instead of a dial.

It is more of a calibration problem, they have too long of a lead time and there are so many of them where another tool can do the same job thus costing less for calibration per cycle. I have come up with a solution, I got together with the shop leader and asked him to tell me what ones had to stay. Although everyone else in the shop has told me no one uses them, I have to humor the shop lead or he will cry. It is the typical cancerous employee that likes to stonewall you as much as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back