Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Replace sew

Status
Not open for further replies.

NX3user

Automotive
Jun 30, 2005
DE
Hi

I want to ask if anyone knows how to use replace, for sew.
So I have more surfaces witch are sewed and I want to replace it with other new surfaces that are also sewed

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Why would you want to replace a sew? Just make sure the new surfaces (individual surfaces that aren't sewn) are reordered before the final sew and add those new surfaces to the original sew feature by editing it and selecting the new surfaces to add. You may have to use Edit with Rollback to get this to work. I typically just delete the sew if possible and re-create it. However, if you have dependent features after the sew, this might cause further issues. You'll just have to try a few different ways and find the method you prefer.

UGS trainers taught us to only use one sew feature if possible, in order to avoid modeling tolerance stacking that would result from multiple sews.

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

I want to replace it because after that sew I have to much operations and I don’t want to rework complete entire part so I need one “tip” or something to work

Thanks for all

I did a little test to see how NX would react. I created some simple Extrusions (3 total), Sewed them and applied some Edge Blends. I then made the last feature BEFORE the Sew the current feature and created 2 new Extrusions. I made the Sew the Current Feature then edited the Sew to add the 2 new Extrusions. This worked fine and the remaining Edge Blend features updated fine.

So, what I would do in your case is the following:

1. Take the NEW sewn sheets (they don't NEED to be sewn and I recommend they NOT be sewn) and reorder them BEFORE the original Sew.

2. Make the original Sew is the Current Feature then Edit the Sew parameters and click on the NEW surfaces to add.

3. Make the very last feature in the Model Navigator the Current Feature. All the features after your Sew should update. If they don't, it's because they are referencing the original sewn body and can't have new surfaces added for some reason. Boolean operations might be really hectic to deal with if you didn't create them in a specific manner.

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

Hi

And thanks for your posts I think I wasn’t very exact

I have some A class surfaces who are linked from one part, these surfaces are involved in approximately 200 operations (trim and extend, offset, blend, etc).

What I want to do it’s to change that A surfaces with others, who are from other part and are almost identical but haven’t the same number of faces, anyway I’m not allowed to touch them (I think you had similar situation).

In your opinion how I should do this to get the best result without crashing the model and for the future how I should work with similar parts?

Thanks

I don't use Trim & Extend unless I have to. In situations where we're not allowed to change the Class A surfaces, I normally extend the A surfaces, remove their Parameters so they are dumb (no parametrics), then sew them together. You're finding out exactly why I remove all the Parameters, in that keeping everything parametric can cause for very hairy situations if the Class A surfaces are revised.

However, in modeling a wheel, it's fairly straight forward and there's only about 3 different modeling methods that are typically used, so my features are kept to a minimum. When our A surfaces are revised, we typically don't have too much problem just deleting the old surfaces and reordering the new but we're not working with as many features as you appear to be.

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

Yes are linked and the solution will be I think,
to use regions on the wave geometry linker in that way I can change anytime my regions ? ;-)

Have someone other idea?

Thanks

Look under Edit Surface and you should find Sheet Boundary and Isoparametric Trim/Divide. I use Sheet Boundary to remove any retained trimming, then I perform an Iso Trim to enlarge surfaces in the U or V direction, as needed. I normally stay away from Iso Divide.

If you run into any situations where Tangency is supposed to exist between 2 surfaces/edges and when you Sew you find that Tangency doesn't exist, you can sometimes repair the Tangency by using Change Edge on this same Edit Surface toolbar.

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back