Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Replace the model reference to the drawing 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mechdesignron

Mechanical
Mar 6, 2008
US
Hello,

I started creating my drawings in the same file as the model. A Siemens representative has suggested, for good reason, to create a seperate drawing file that references the model. Can anyone tell me how I can "disassemble" my files and have my current drawings reference an external model. (The copy I have made & deleted the drawing)

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Start Modeling goto assembly Component create new from...
select all your geometrie in modeling ( hiden / other layers)
delete reference enter file name - save. enter Drafting and mayby you have update your drawings.

Have a think about how you do this. The benefits are manifest but it could be more trouble than you have envisaged. I have done it before and would do so again. but I would carefully organise the activity to avoid downstream problems.

It is entirely likely that you will have to re-create both you're drawings and assemblies when you do this if you're not careful. Yes you will need to re-attach dimensions. I think it's a bummer, but if you want the payoff it is what you have to do.

Most people would want to keep the component name for the models and not the drawings. So....maybe you can do it as follows:

Firstly don't be working in Teamcenter, or you can ignore this next bit.

Since I would rename the drawings not the models, but it is more convenient to open a drawing create a component and then update the dimensions, you're faced with the dilemma that if you call the components anything other than their original name then next time you open assemblies they'll be populated with empty drawings.

So rename your files from say X123.prt to X123_dwg.prt then you can create a component called X123.prt (the original name), without having to overwrite another file of the same name. One easy way to handle the renaming may be to clone your assemblies.

Go into your load options and make sure allow substitution is ON before you open any assemblies. When you do there will be warning messages but the assembly should find the right files of the components without drawings in them.

When done look at using representations (faceted reference sets), as your default reference set upon opening and turning on partial loading in your load options. Doing those two things will allow you to load very large assemblies a lot easier.

Lastly if you follow this method wave links may be affected. They might show up as broken. For most people 90% of this is easily fixed, by simply editing some parameters a model will a broken wave link may warn you of it, but should not become unstable.

The option to do otherwise involves breaking out the components with the assemblies open and restructuring the assemblies before removing the drawing files. Again you could start by cloning, but be aware that I haven't favoured this method because knowing every usage of a component is seldom manageable so the risk of disturbing the wave links may more easily be managed retrospectively in my experience.

Cheers

Hudson

The easiest way is to export the drawing to a new part file. Use File ->Export -> Part. Select whether it will be exported to a New or Existing file and select the drawing to be exported. This will maintain the associativity between the model and drawing. Where I work we usse this method to convert old drawings to master model and it works well. If you try this and have any trouble, post it because we have run into a few things and may be able to help. Good luck...

fgbrender,

If you do it that way you'll still have the model under the drawing, sure you'll have two files with different names but it isn't like setting up master model concept.

It does raise an interesting point though in terms of options for people changing to master model concept. You could get the same results by, copying and renaming your files to append _dwg as I suggested earlier. That could be even easier using cloning.

Then provided that you have some clear and sound systems in place it may be easiest to go through deleting all the drawing sheets from the models using your old assemblies so that no wave links or anything are disturbed.

Now the drawings would still have copies of identical models in them, so as long as you're ABLE to be certain that the data hasn't changed according to your releasing system then you can wait until the next change to update your drawings to the master model method.

I don't ascribe to the theory that the model should always follow the drawing release for practical reasons to do with the way we prefer to release drawings. We do more model changes that drawing changes prior to initial release, so it doesn't always follow that every model has a drawing to begin with. For that reason I would do the whole thing thoroughly in one hit if I were trying to make the kind of change that we're looking at for your project.

Cheers

Hudson

Fgbrender's method works every time for me.

Once the file-export has completed simply delete the drawing sheet from the original file. Check the new file first, obviously, but I've never seen it fail.

Specialty Engineered Automation (SEA)
a UGS Foundation Partner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back