Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Replacement for Strucalc 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

madcowscarnival

Civil/Environmental
Sep 19, 2013
US
There are a couple of older threads regarding replacing strucalc software or comparing it to other options for quick straightforward residential structural analysis. A local jurisdiction that I occasionally work in has jumped to 2018 with plans to move to 2021 next year. My latest version of StruCalc stopped at 2015 code sets when they were purchased by Virtuvius. I have not looked into the Virtuvius software as I'm not keen on the licensing/leasing method for seats; I prefer to fully purchase a seat that will work for as long as I need it to. I've looked at Enercalc before (years ago), but preferred StruCalc's slick output and simple use. Are there any other current options that are similar to StruCalc? Is EnerCalc the best bet? I'm fine with purchasing software, no need for freeware, just don't want some monthly or yearly fee. We bought new seats for StruCalc yearly, was a shame their biz model was apparently not working out.

EDIT: Well, I see Enercalc is subscription based too. Are there any seat purchase software programs left?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have used StruCalc for years and also was stopped at 10.0 when they moved to the new licensing. My work is mostly residential so haven't invested in more expensive or licensed programs. However, I have been able to open my programs (after dismissing several screens trying to update the building code)until recently.
Now, after I have dismissed the Screens, the program locks up my computer with an error code that I can't stop. I have not seen earlier. Any suggestions?

Sorry to dig this one up, but...

Pmtottawa said:
I ended up going with SAFI SOFTWARE as they too offer purchase price. Great software and extremely user friendly.

I missed this before. I just ran across SAFI in my search for a better light frame wood design tool. Their parameterized light frame generator looks fantastic. I sent a message to their sales team to get pricing and demo information, but how are you liking it now that you've been using it for several months? Was it worth the price you paid for it? The idea of buying a package like that for about the price of a 1 year RISA subscription (for all of the modules) is a bit enticing...

Love it.
There is a slight learning curve but that is with all sofitware, but i found this one straight forward thw documentation is fairly good to get you going.

It works really well.

I have the full suite and love everyrhing about it, rspecially their calculators for steel and concrete.

Craig at customer service is fantastic, he always answers and if cant answer he will transfer you to the engineer doing the module.

Thanks. Craig called me this afternoon. Turns out the full purchase price for US customers is considerably higher...but the 'lease' is quite reasonable. I'm going to give it a go and see how I like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back