Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Replacement of a Electric Motor by a Pneumatic Motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mesqrueda

Electrical
Oct 20, 2003
MX
Because of the operation conditions I need to replace a electric motor by a pneumatic motor. Presently the electric motor is working in a very wet area. Obviously I have data of electric motor. I want to purchase an Atlas Copco pneumatic motor. I have also some data of the pneumatic motor like: Power, speed and torque at 91 PSI of air supply pressure. The power and speed of the pneumatic motor area similar to power and speed of electric motor, but: How do I know that the torque of the pneumatic motor could be similar to the torque developed by the electric motor ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It's not as simple as the equation above. Most electric motors have starting torques several times higher than their full-speed torques. Depends on how much is required.

Atlas copco are very expensive, so have a look on the web first. Have a look on google !!! Motair offer Air motors and the technical assistance is very good when I've dealt with them. Depending on size, you could try SPX Fluid Power(Formerly Fenner)

mesqrueda
I hope not too late to say...

Had you considered an TENV or fully enclosd IP-66 class electric motor?, I say this because that Metalguy say is right, the starting & pull-up torque characteristics are very different and probably your machine will have starting problems.
In addition, pneumatic motors (in large sizes) are costly in manutention, and wet environments mat be problematic. The only adventage (perhaps?) is that they are capable to sustain full torque at zero speed.
SIEMENS manufacture a very complete line of motors for aggresive environments.

Good Luck!

mesqrueda

an electric motor is a contant speed device. It maintains the contant speed even though the torque may fluctuate.
an air motor can approximate to a constant torque device. it maintains the torque contant but varies the speed.
I would use an electric motor of the appropriate class for your environment. An air motor is not suitable for cold ambient temperatures [if the air has moisture in it]. It will freeze up. Air is ofcouse more expensive.

regards.

I like a hydraulic motor in bad environments. You get strong starting torque and easy to regulate speed. additional benefits are reversibility, small footprint at the point of application, braking capability. Air is incredibly expensive to operate continuously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back