Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

replacing a bearing wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjw3275

Structural
Jan 6, 2003
US
with out usung my local arcitect i am trying to find out how i would go about calculating the proper beam size to replace a bearing wall in my kitchen . I need a span of 16 feet to hold 2x 6 floor joists 16"oc. i am able to put in three columns. Is there a rule of thumb or maybe a code book i could purchase? any information would be greatly appreciative.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The fact that you are asking for the relevant code or "rule of thumb" indicates that you need to contact a structural engineer to help you with your solution. Calculating the correct beam size involves more than just looking it up in a table. Consider the cost of engineering services a small price to pay for the protection of your safety.

The design process for a beam can be summarised as follows:
a) Determination of all forces and moments on critical
section
b) Selection wood type and trial size
c) Classification of section (I, S, A)
d) Check shear strength; if unsatisfactory return to (b)
e) Check bending capacity; if unsatisfactory return to (b)
f) Check deflection; if unsatisfactory return to (b)
g) Check bearing at supports or concentrated load; if unsatisfactory provide incrased bearing
h) Check connection details
i) Summarise results

shear fv = VQ / Ib
bending Fb=Mc/I
Beam deflection for floor beams (with plaster clg) is limited by UBC and SBC as 1/360 of the span length for LL and 1/240 for DL+LL. Beams W/O plaster clg L/240 for DL and L/180 DL+LL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back