Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Replacing Missing Surfaces

Status
Not open for further replies.

hugou

Automotive
Sep 17, 2008
GB
I have some imported geometry with missing surfaces (see attached screen shot). I have tried using a boundary blend and the style tool to add in these surfaces but don’t really know how. Any suggestions please?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Can you post the neutral translation that went into the Import Feature? If it was an IGES I suspect there may be some clues in it that don't show up in the picture (maybe not even in the Pro/E import). At any rate, the missing faces were most likely larger swept or revolved 'slab' faces trimmed to intersections which were then rounded. Although trying to create new faces from the existing boundaries may somehow work I doubt it will ever be a winning proposition.

Do people a favor and state the Pro/E version being used.

-Jeff Howard (wf2)
Sure it's true. I saw it on the internet.

What do you mean by neutral translation?
It was a STEP file.
Using WF2 at the moment.
I am reluctant to post the actual file because of customer confidentiality.

> I am reluctant to post the actual file
> because of customer confidentiality

I'd work with the source, then, and resolve the export / import problems. Ten years ago this type problem was common. It's the exception to the rule today and can usually be resolved, often by correcting modeling problems in the native source file or trying different export options or a different neutral translation protocol.

You could export and post relevent bounding surfaces, presumably, without giving up 'IP'. Having some specific geometry to examine might reveal a simple (i.e. sweeping in a new surface using one bounding curve as section, extending a bounding curve and creating a swept blend, etc.) fix.

As a matter of curiosity; your import log will contain a list of goemetry entities read and, possibly, errors encountered. Can you post the pertinent sections of that?

Have you tried importing with a different program? Look the same as the Pro/E read?

-Jeff Howard (wf2)

> I'd work with the source, then, and resolve ...

To add to ...
You might try a 'shotgun' approach: get them to send you several export variations; i.e. IGES as surfaces and solid b-reps, etc., any variation they can export. One or the other may get you a good import or the 'missing' faces may show up in one or the other and can be copied into your working model.

What is the source system?

-Jeff Howard (wf2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back