Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Representations in Drawing (for shaded views)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DipakPatil333

Industrial
Jun 26, 2013
FI
Hello,
I am using NX8.5.2.3.
When I create Representations in an assembly and same I use to show on drawing with shaded views (Lightweight, Smart Lightweight and Exact etc.)
But the pdf and cgm created by this way do not show the correct results. Is it true that the shaded views are forbidden for representations in drawing?
I am talking about Assemblies → Advance → Representations.

Please see the attached image.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=6959c967-6f02-4d7d-8ab5-6ee51ef0928f&file=PDF_with_representaion_and_shaded_view.JPG
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I am unsure if this is related but we are having similar issues in NX9 in regards to Full rendered views in drafting.

The plot file seems to export in two pieces, one representing the displayed edges, the other the shaded bodies. In files created in previous versions, the rendered portion plots skewed and in the wrong position. GTAC is giving us the run around (plotting guy and Drafting guy arguing on the phone at each other). A similar issue is that we use a tif of our company logo which is embedded in a table for our title blocks. The same issue is occurring here. There was a lot of work put in to the titleblocks previously and now this on every single drawing.

One work around is to export a pdf and plot the pdf. Since that actually works I guess this is different then the problem above. No intention of hijacking the thread but sometimes remotely related problems trigger an idea.

thanks

NX 9.0.1.3

Please see the attached data for the issue.
There is a Drawing for an assembly and assembly has Representation created in it by advance assembly command. And the representation is stored on reference set named as REP.
In drawing I have used REP as reference set for assembly and added isometric view with shading. Now when I export this as pdf or cgm results are not correct. Shaded geometry is not seen as expected.
I have also included the exported pdf in the attachment. Please tell me the reason.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=8fb4b01d-4eec-4c02-989d-7ba4ddb616b8&file=Representation_Issue.zip
For what it is worth, I downloaded your attachment and had the same outcome generating a pdf. Since the pdf is the current work around for ours, we are not experiencing this problem. Still, I feel that they must be related. There is a bug somewhere. I opened an old NX8 file with a rendered view and it exports a proper pdf as well. It appears that you are using the same setting that we are, View Rendering Style: Fully Shaded.

NX 9.0.1.3

Just to clarify; If I do not use Representation for the assembly in drawing, then I am getting the correct geometry in pdf with shaded view. This issues happens only when Representations are used in drawing for the assembly. And Yes I am using the same settings; View Rendering Style: Fully Shaded.. Should I assume that it is a BUG or Shaded views are Forbidden when used with Representation in drawing???

Why exactly are you creating 'representations' in your Assembly in the first place? Is it because you're attempting to overcome some performance problems or is there some other 'benefit' that you think that this gives you?

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Yes you are right; We want to overcome some performance problems. I have shown one small example. But we have quite huge assemblies (around 5000 parts) where we want to use representations in drawing views for such big assemblies. We are successfully using it; but only issue is with Shaded views. I know you will ask me to use Smart Lightweight views :)

Well, that's one of the reasons why we spent our R&D resources on those enhancments as they provide what we think it a more modern a sustainable solution to improve the performance when creating Drawings of large and/or complex assemblies. Representations were developed years ago as an alternative but it required extra steps and couldn't be integrated as well into standard workflows. In reality, much of the inspiration for the use of Lightweight representations in BOTH Assembly modeling (introduced in NX 7.5) and Drafting (NX 8.5) came from the use of {Advanced) Assembly Represenations in the past. Our goal was to get as much of the benefit of these previous approaches but in such a way that first, it did not require any special license (Advanced Assemblies) and second that it could be integrated in such a manner that it was transparent to the user and would simply be seen as a general improvement in performance.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

That being said, I would still make sure that GTAC has your examples and that they are following-up with the proper development groups so that these issues are thoroughly investigated since NX should behave correctly in your situation even if there might be some more alternatives today based on these recent changes that we've made.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

Do you mean you will raise this issue to GTAC/QTAC and if so can you please provide me IR or PR # for this issue. or Should I raise it from my side.

Since you've already taken the time to create an example where you can reproduce the problem on demand, you should open the IR/PR yourself. I might have followed-up myself except for the fact that I'm currently sitting in a hotel room in Hancock, MI (look it up on Google Earth to see where that's located to see that I'm a bit off the grid at the moment) so I can't easily reach out to the right people. And I won't be back in my office until May 5th and then two days later my wife and I are off on vacation for a week (note that my current trip is NOT a vacation but rather some visits to a couple of universities in Michigan were I'm representing Siemens PLM during some classroom activities).

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back