Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Representing same part with different shape in 3Dx/CATIA V6?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mulhollp

Aerospace
May 15, 2013
GB
thread560-496337

We have a problem where for our electrical harness models our design team need to create different models for the same part number essentially. Say a harness 100 inches in length used in different products will be routed differently i.e. different shape. As these are supplier/purchased parts the BoM needs to show the same number so that when it's fed into MRP system it recognises.

Currently this involves our guys manually manipulating the BoMs for the different harnesses to make sure the supplier number shows correctly.

I see the previously referenced post they where looking at putting the different configurations in different 3D shapes within a product but I was struggling to see how this would work when the part is released/frozen as it would have to be released with a certain 3D shown, so couldn't see others.

Any help much appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This is still a great question, and at my company, our thinking and methodology have advanced a bit compared to the last post. Our current methodology for this sort of thing is to include an attribute on the Product that is the part or item number in the MRP system. Then (manually) apply the same item number to however many products (models) need it. This method is open to errors though, as you could inadvertently have different BOMs in the models. Care is still needed.

It's great to have the 3D model drive the (MRP) BOM, but we have found that we still need flexibility in cases like this.

I would still love to hear about better solutions to this!

Thanks Mark,

Yeah we are trying to remove the manual input as we've had some problems with incorrect input, but good to know other folks have similar issues.
We've asked our reseller to see if they have any potential solutions.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back