Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Request for addition to future NX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenja824

Automotive
Nov 5, 2014
US
I have no idea how to open a ticket or make an official request to have something added to NX, so if someone else does and you like this idea, please add one. lol

Numerous times now I have wished I could have the ability to add color to the files in the part navigator tree.

Currently, I am doing a job where I need to work with nearly every assembly in this job and there are 50 to 100 assemblies in this one job. All part of one master assembly.

It would be so nice to color the tree as I do them. Green if they are done. Yellow if they need something yet. Other colors depending on what I need them to signify.

In this particular case, I have a job that was handed to us from another company and they have no names for their components. Everything is a part number and the numbers are similar patterns whether it is a fastener or a product or whatever. It would have been nice to color the files for product in the navigator to help easily find the correct parts.

Over the last few weeks there have been numerous times when this would have come in handy.

Ken
My brain is like a sponge. A sopping wet sponge. When I use it, I seem to lose more than I soak in.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you can rearrange the components on the tree, create a fake component named "BOOKMARK" and move that down the tree as you work. It needs only enough geometry to place it.

Thanks for the reply.

I have found ways around it, like taking a snippet of the tree and marking on that as I go and stuff like that. But being able to color the tree would IMO just add another level to helping organize as you work. I would just really like to see that happen.

Ken
My brain is like a sponge. A sopping wet sponge. When I use it, I seem to lose more than I soak in.

It would be interesting to give the tree a generalized text management layer; bolding, font size, color, background color, just as if it was in any word processor.

I had wanted the ability to create comment lines within the tree to store instructions and cautions to other users of the model.

I've always said that I would like groups in the Assembly Navigator just like in the Part Navigator. I do use Pack All to try to manage the tree but being able to put dozens of different types of fasteners, for example, in a group and collapse it would help a lot in scrolling through pages and pages of the tree.

Mike

Kenja824 said:
I have a job that was handed to us from another company and they have no names for their components.

Right click on a component in the assembly navigator -> properties -> general -> name. The name you enter will show up in the "component name" column. You can then search or sort on these values.

3DDave said:
I had wanted the ability to create comment lines within the tree to store instructions and cautions to other users of the model.

There is a "comment" column in the part navigator; you can slow double click on the cell to add/edit a comment for a feature. I don't think the assembly navigator has anything similar as a default, but you could add an attribute to each component of interest and customize your ANT columns to show the attribute value. Whether your coworkers read them or not is another issue...

I know neither of my suggestions are "complete solutions" to the original problems, but perhaps they will help in some small way.

www.nxjournaling.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back