Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Request for Sample Calculation &Assistance with Phase Change Material System Design for Cold Sto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neo Mech Eng

Mechanical
May 8, 2024
NP
Dear Engineering Forum Members,

I am currently working with a cold storage facility on implementing a Phase Change Material (PCM) system. As I am relatively new to this technology, I am seeking your valuable insights and guidance.

Project Details:
The project involves integrating a PCM system into an existing cold storage facility.
I have reviewed the forum's search function but haven't found specific sample PCM calculations.

Request for Assistance:
I would greatly appreciate assistance with the following aspects of PCM system design:
Calculation Methods: Could you please share or guide me towards resources that detail the calculation of critical parameters like:
Required PCM mass
PCM cooling capacity
PCM discharge time and cycles
Re-freeze time
Electricity consumption for PCM freezing

Provided Material Properties:
For reference, I have included the provided specifications of the chosen PCM:
Ambient temperature (Ta) = 32°C
Chilled storage temperature (Tc) ≈ 2°C
Wall U-value: 0.425 W/m²K
Latent heat of fusion (solid/liquid) (Lh_s/Lh_l): 213 kJ/kg / 271 kJ/kg
Specific heat (solid/liquid) (Cp_s/Cp_l): 3.86 kJ/kg.K / 5.96 kJ/kg.K
Melting temperature (Tm): 6°C
Freezing temperature (Ts): 5°C
Density (solid/liquid) (ρ_s/ρ_l): 727 kg/m³ / 763 kg/m³
Thermal conductivity (solid/liquid) (k_s/k_l): 0.13 W/mK / 0.12 W/mK

Missing Information and Assumptions:
I understand that some additional information is crucial for accurate calculations. Please feel free to suggest reasonable assumptions for the following missing parameters:
Wall areas
Room volume
Mass of stored goods and products
Cooling load
Heat gain rate

High Energy Savings and Additional Considerations:
In my initial calculations, the PCM system showed a significant reduction in daily electricity consumption compared to a traditional refrigeration system (around 90%). This result seems overly optimistic. Could you offer insights into this discrepancy and potential reasons for a more realistic energy saving range?

Furthermore, could you advise on any additional infrastructure required for a smooth-functioning PCM system besides the PCM enclosures themselves?

Thank you in advance for your time and expertise. I eagerly await your valuable feedback and suggestions.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Talk to manufacturer of that PCM about design guidelines. I assume it isn't just ice-storage but some other material. I suspect a lot of what applies to ice storage will apply here.

You need the typical load during your design day.

You need to know if the PCM should provide all day cooling and re-charges over night. Or if you still run a smaller chiller during the day etc. How many hours a night do you have to re-freeze? The answer may depend on the electric utility charges.

You need to know what fluid temperatures you need for the cooling coils used in that facility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back