Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Request for Substitute

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssn61

Mechanical
Mar 30, 2010
US
I am in MEP field, and although it's not a technical question, I know a lot of you guys know the answer, which is greatly appreciated. When a contractor sends a submittal to an engineer for approval and the item submitted is not in the list of acceptable manufactures then how should the contractor provide the Request for Substitute. Should it go through GC then to PM, or GC to the engineer directly?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

the "equal" shoudl not only just be the product fromt he lsited manufacturer, also of equal quality. Let's say you designed arounnd the most efficient Trane chiller and lsited Carrier as equal. you only should accept an equally efficient Carrier chiller (and also equal maintenance etc.).

you should be free to allow a product from a not-listed manufacturer as long as it has the equal or better properties. (i.e. in case you didn't list york as equal chiller, but the model they suggest is better than your original ones, your client has an advantage of getting the York chiller).

I only can speak of Public Works project, and there I'm required to approve "equal or better" products. Obviously it is at my digression to way maintenance, efficiency etc. to determine what is equal or better. In case of trade-offs between efficiency and maintenance, you may talk to the owner / operator of the system.

in the end, you are serving the client and are required to find the best system for the client.

A good set of specification should lay out the review process and define additional review costs. Submission instructions should be found at the beginning of the 1500 / 2300 specs or under the general specs. I see costs of review of alternate equipment popping to up due to the MEP designers have shaved fees so low they don’t have the hours to review a non specified product. The formal process should start with the vendor providing a submittal to the mechanical subcontractor, next the mechanical submits the product to the general contractor. The GC submits to AE firm for review. A good vendor can soften the blow by calling the engineer in advance of the project to make sure his product will be accepted. Non- listed units may carry issues of change to structure, sound or power requirements to name a few. Most specs state the sub providing the non-listed alternate is responsible for all review costs and additional costs by other trades. Be very careful on LEED projects, efficiency and options may invalidate the submission to USGBC thus the engineer will not accept the liability of a change. Some general conditions state an alternate can only be address at general bid time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back