Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Required Code Marking for Repair Material

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salmonslayer

Petroleum
Mar 11, 2009
CA
We are in the process of applying for an R stamp through the NBIC. I have ben charged with reorganizing the QC system and am having trouble with the material section. I am trying to get a mock repair ready for an audit by our AI and a Rep from the NB. So here is my issue: according to Section VII Div I UG-93(a)(2). The material must be marked with the following information: material specification grade, type, and class and heat number that matches an MTR will this be enough or am I missing something here.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks for the reply.
Oh ya I'm good that way just this material purchasing gig thats new for me. I think our AI is just forcing me to be a little more thorough with this as any issues with the NB are his issues too, with him being our Authorized Inspector and all..

FYI,
Heat numbers as well as grade type and class may not be enough. Be prepared to answer the question of ....what if..... the reason for this is because heat numbers are arbitrary and specific to the material manufacturer's marking system. Any material manufacturer may unknowningly identify their material with the same "alpha-numeric system" of another material manufacturer. With your QC System, you should be able to sort it out in case of duplication.. Of course even though this may be a very unlikely scenario, it is still possible and it has occurred at least once in my career as an AI. If you were to tie in the PO to the material, you now have completely eliminated all possibility of duplication.

FAQ731-376

Well I broke down and searched through Section II and found all the required marking according to the Code. Not to say the potential for error is eliminated as indicated by CodeJackal. Perhaps I am just being over cautious with this purchasing thing. Being a self confessed control freak with the inability to trust my review to anyone doesn't help either.
Thanks for the input.
Salmonslayer

Salmon,
You are doing it correctly. As you have described, follow the ordering and receipt inspection criteria outlined in the material specs located in Section II Parts A and B (as applicable) and verify the required markings as well. Identify the "should" and "shall" and "may" wording within these criteria. You are on the right track. Your AI will help eliminate issues that you might feel uncomfortable with. Utilize the AI as much as you are able.

FAQ731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back