Required material flange?

Status
Not open for further replies.

401laurent

Mechanical
May 4, 2007
CA
Hi,
I have some confusion in understanding the required material for this flange ( see attached drawing) regarding
ASME Code : App. 2-2 (d)(1): "Hubbed flanges may be machined from a hot rolled or forged billet or forged bar….."
App. 2-2 (d)(2): "Hubbed flanges [except as permitted at (1) above] shall not be machined from plate or bar stock material unless the material has been formed into a ring……"

as the Flange OD is 139 mm = 5.51 in , witch is higher than 4 in,
My question is simply : Witch material can I use for this flange and why ? :

1- a round bar with SA-479-316L spec.
2- a round bar with dual spec : SA-479-316L, and SA-182-316L with only mechanical and chemical properties restriction.
3- hot rolled round bar Type XM-19 .
4- Pipe material XXH wall SA-312-TP316L

Thanks.
Regards.
Laurent.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=74e031ff-bd91-40dc-aaf7-65ad51bcbe3a&file=flange.JPG
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

401laurent, your flange appears to be "hubless", if so, it can be made from a ring burned from plate. It could as well be made from forging, or dual certified bar / forging. I don't think any standard pipe is going to work based on OD / ID given. No bar only specs would seem to be permitted, based on given OD.

What is it?

Regards,

Mike

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

SnTMan ,
I think it's may be impossible to form this flange from ring plate , I know that I can't cut it from plate.
for dual certified bar/forging, I see this restriction note on the bar Material test report : Only mechanical and chemical for SA-182

is it really dual certification with this restriction ?.
what about hot rolled bar?.

Thanks.
Laurent

401laurent, why can't you cut it from plate? Select thickness, burn the OD, burn the ID.

Can't say what the note on your MTR means really, but if not truly certified to the forging spec I'd say its use is not permitted. I'd say hot-rolled bar is not permitted either.

What is it?

Regards,

Mike

Sn TMan,
I can't cut it from plate as per Appendix 2-2 d(2).
I think I can use hot rolled round bar as per Appendix 2-2 d(1).

Thanks.
Luarent

401laurent, it does not look like a hubbed flange to me. Where's the hub?

What is it?

Regards,

Mike

If you would give us a description as to how you are using this flange, what you are welding it to, and to what section of the flange you are welding it to (ex. only to the 2.5mm section), it would give us a better background so as to answer your questions.

401laurent, loose-type, slip-on flanges, lap joint flanges, back-up rings and etc. are burned from plate all the time. I feel certain that studding outlets can be burned from plate as well.

What is it?

Regards,

Mike

Afox88, this flange is simply studding outlet, butwelded on 2,5 mm side.
SnTMan,thank you very much, for me I have usually in mind that only blind flange can be cut from plate , all the others flange are from forging material.

THanks.
Laurent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back