Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Requirement for the PE exam?

Status
Not open for further replies.

simonrr

Civil/Environmental
Oct 17, 2002
US
Hey all,

Are there certain exceptions to the requirements for taking the PE exam? I read somewhere that you necessarily do not have to have four years of experience. The person in question will have 3.75 years of experience at the time of the exam.

Where would this information be found?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You need to check with the particular P.E. Board of the state where the exam will be taken. Different states have slightly different time frames.

Contact your State Board of Engineering Examiners. They may have a slightly different name in your State. They will probably have a website. Do a quick web search for it.

Good Luck

In PA, it is exactly 4.0 years (I know two people who's applications were kicked back because they were 1 month short) from thr application deadline, NOT the exam date. Applications are due 6 months prior to test date to be considered, so (again, only in PA) you will actually be an EIT for no less than 4.5 years on exam day.

This is spelled out in no uncertain terms on the app. instructions.

LHA - I second that. I experienced that first hand when I had my entire application kicked back for lack of "official" transcripts submitted by the deadline. I had to wait another year and was an EIT for no less than 5 1/2 years in California.

I'm like LHA and CVG. In Missouri I wasn't allowed to apply until I had a full 4 years under my belt. I questioned them about having it by exam time; but, that didn't fit their requirements.

Wow! Sewerrat, please tell me what state/province/country you did that in...I recommend all EITs get your PE in that state/province/country, then get licensed in the state you want to work in through comity. I wish I'd have about known that 6 years ago...

Also, when did you do this? In PA, if you "Received degree before June 30, 1994, or who began your experience before February 19, 1991.", you could have the 4 years prior to getting the EIT, whereas those who don't meet the above need 4 years AFTER getting the EIT. But you still need 4 years experience.

The only out I could find: with "NO DEGREE: Must have EIT certificate and the candidate’s amplified record of experience must show at least 12 years of experience (8
of which qualified one to sit for the FE exam) and an additional 4 years gained after the issuance of the EIT certificate, under the supervision of a PE."

I plan on using my work experience during the summers before I received my EIT towards my overall experience. Hopefully, I won't have any problems with this. Who has to "vouch" for the amount of experience that one has...is it your boss? I have looked for information about this here in Illinois and I am unable to find any. Also, I heard that the PE exam is not as hard as the EIT...is this true?

I have a BS in Hydrology from U of A and had to wait an additional 2 years before I could take the PE exam. The state board only gave me 2 years of credit for my schooling. So be aware of educational accreditation. Just a thought.

gbam,

is that university of alabama?? i believe that i am fine with my schooling. auburn will probably get me 4 years of credit.

It's been a little over two years since I graduated from college and I don't know if I can wait another 2+ years to take this exam. I eventually want to be a developer and would probably start out by being a general contractor. I am 24 and believe that if I wait until after I get my PE (roughly 27) I would have wasted too much time. Is it really worth it to have your PE?? Thoughts? Thanks.

Yes, it is. The additional education while working in a design office will prove invaluable. Your undergraduate degree was not "complete" - you need real-world experience, and an opportunity to learn those essentials that aren't taught in college...

[pacman]

Please see FAQ731-376 for great suggestions on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora. See faq158-922 for recommendations regarding the question, "How Do You Evaluate Fill Settlement Beneath Structures?"

simonrr

you don't need a PE to be a developer or a contractor - but you may need to have one on your staff... As a developer or contractor, you won't be doing a lot of engineering work, but paying others to do it for you. You might be better of getting a MBA which would help you more run a development business.

So, what I am getting is the following...if I want to stay in the Civil Engineering Field and be a designer, then it would be very beneficial for me to get my PE.

If I want to go into Devopment / General Contracting (which, in turn is more money), I really don't need a PE.

So, am I really wasting my time right now doing design work if I really want to be in the development business? I do have a very good background having worked in this field for three years now so I wouldn't lack knowledge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back