Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Requirement of expansion joint in irregular Shape building

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Well it should not be necessary but could be preffered to place expansion join, Incase you performe proper analysis to assess the dynamics of the structure by performing the required type of analysis as specified by your code.

Time is far more precious than you can imagine.

At points where stresses are concentrated often crack, such as at internal corners of cutouts. It can be useful to give them proper direction, rather than let them decide to break up on their own in any direction they chose.

--Einstein gave the same test to students every year. When asked why he would do something like that, "Because the answers had changed."

I know the complexity a structure can be prone to, but you don't always have the choice to break the structure into separate components either atchitectural requirements or geometeric requirements.

Can You share Some pictures or sketch of your problem for better understanding.

Let architecture control the form, color, look and feel, not your design.

--Einstein gave the same test to students every year. When asked why he would do something like that, "Because the answers had changed."

Dwg_page-0001_age3wb.jpg

If you are asking about expan joints in the foundation slab and floor slabs, we need to see those plan views.

Yug Maharjan said:
Building length x-direction = 17.5m, Y-direction = 22.4m
Height of building 2 story = 6m
Two Stories with expansion joint would make it more vulnerable than stabilizing and have economic effect.

I think you would make more sense as essentially a design of two buildings. There seems to be a large central patio, or swimming pool or something in the middle. You can then connect them across the entrance hallway with expansion joint(s) there.

Dimensions and a few labels would help.
I looks like it is only one floor, but I see a atairway going nowhere. Is it 2 floor, or is one half higher than the other? Multi-level?
Seems like you should post some elevation views.

Your lack of proper descriptions makes me think you are not serious.
We do not have time to try to figure out what you are doing, or even if you know what you are doing yourself.

When i was doing buildings we worked on 20m intervals for expansion joints, at 22m i would say it is not necessary but it also depends on your foundation conditions and loadings, ie will it settle uniformly, is only part of the building double storey = uneven loading etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back