Requirement of Globe Valve in Fire Water System

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shahpar

Mechanical
Jul 1, 2016
SA
Hi,

I am working on one project in which process and safety Department have used Globe Valve in Fire Water System for PCV bypass on recycle line from the pump discharge header back to the suction source of the pumps. Refer to NFPA-24 section 6.1.1: All valves controlling connections to water supplies and to supply pipes to water-based fire protection systems shall be listed indicating valves. We could not find any Globe Valve available in market with UL/FM approved. Also I could not find any FM approval procedure for Globe Valve.

Moreover, This requirement of recycle line are as per Client Mandatory Safety Standard which state as under:

*- Water pressure shall be controlled by recycling fire water from the pump discharge header back to the suction source of the pumps. The fire water pressure control system shall consist of a dedicated pressure transmitter, a pressure controller with adjustable set point, and at least two pressure control valves installed on the recycle manifold.
*- The pressure control valve system shall be sized to recycle a minimum flow of one half the design capacity of the smallest jockey pump and shall be designed to fail closed. The maximum recycle flow of the system shall be two times the sum of the design flows of one jockey pump plus the largest single fire water pump.

Can anyone provide expert opinion on this issue, whether we can use Globe Valves in FW water system as this is usually considered as non indicating type valves. I have seen some provision of globe valve in NFPA-20 on drains Refer NFPA-20 Fig: A.4.31(a).

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Well do you want a system that is compliant with NFPA 20 or not? If so you have your answer it is not permitted except to drain water. Any insurance carrier that references NFPA or FM would flag the system. Believe me fire pumps get a lot of attention and any failure mode is not taken likely.

No, you cannot. I am confused by the "safety arrangement"

If you want pressure control of the water on a fire pump, there are listed controllers just for that.

Also, do not forget, Globe valves are for water throttling and are typical in process operations.
The indicating gate valves used are designed for fully open or closed.
True, a butterfly valve throttles and is allowed in all other places other than the suction side. But that is not why they are present on a system.

R/
Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back