Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Requirments for writing WPS and PQR's 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

epadilla

Electrical
Mar 11, 2015
US
Hello everyone

I know this has probably been asked before but I find myself in a peculiar situation. I was in the process of hiring a Senior Welding Inspector to review and re-write our welding procedures but my boss has just informed me that "a janitor" can write WPS and QPR's. I know AWS states only a SWI can do this, but I can't find anything in API 1104 to support this requirement. Does anyone know where I can find some information in CFR 192 or API 1104? She states it's not a federal or state requirement. HELP

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

gtaw,

The root problem is management viewing QA as a toilet paper exercise. Something that permits you to do your business. My aim in writing a WPS is to make it reflect the reality of the task, to meet or exceed the contract requirements, to be as flexible as possible, and to design it so I don't have to requalify in one year's time.

In one previous lifetime I inherited a WPS catalog that had a simple carbon steel pipe WPS qualified at least four times over about 15 years, each at progressively lower Charpy test temperatures. I had to requalify it again just to add hardness testing, which would have been a cheap addition to the previous PQR. Stupid.

"If you don't have time to do the job right the first time, when are you going to find time to repair it?"

Thank you everyone for all your responses.

I am still fighting an uphill battle and am down to my last grenade so please tell me if I'm on the right track here....

My boss has stated that a "janitor" can write an WPS because "CFR 192 and API 1104 do not mention anything about minimum qualifications for writing and WPS"..... so here is my last grenade...

API 1004 4.2.1 (Pipe and Piping Components) states:
"This standard applies to the welding of pipe and piping components that conform to material and products specifications including, but not limited to:

e) American National Standards Institute (ANSI) specifications

Soooooo...... AWS IS an ANSI Standard therefore the AWS requirement as stated in ASW B5.1:2013, Section 4 (table 1) does apply! Only a certified SWI is qualified to write welding procedures.

Think that will fly????

Sorry. You need to re-read that paragraph. The "ANSI standard" reference is applicable to the material product specification being welded, not the welding of the material itself.

Additionally, having a specification outlining limitations of inspectors is not a carte blanche nod to meaning that all WPS's and PQR's must be written by an SWI, when the applicable Code of Construction/Fabrication does not invoke such a requirement.

My office policy says my facial hair must be neat and trim. Does that mean I can't shave my beard in the morning because the state cosmetology board has minimum requirements on what it takes to be a barber?

If this wasn't so painful.... I would be laughing my fat butt off.

Again, thank you all for all your help

Soooo... Looks like I can add "Janitor" to my resume. But you can bet that I'm going to do the best I can.... Quick question:

I have everything I think I need to begin writing new WPS... but I'm having trouble with the Heat Input value after I calculate it. Example:

12" API 5L, X42 pipe, butt & fillet welding (12.75" OD, .375" WT). I can calculate the Heat Input per pass... but what do I do with this number???

Sorry for being such a pest, just trying to make sure I do a good job

If you are the installing contractor but not the Owner/Operator, the procedure may not be accepted by the Owner. And if I were the Owner, the WPS would be rejected and I would require qualification of the procedure in my presence.

By the way your boss is wrong regarding PQR per ASME IX.

The contractor performing the actual welding is required to qualify the WPS and document the qualification effort. API 1104 includes sample forms to document the qualification of the WPS, the WPS, and the welder performance test record. While the format may be changed, the variables must be addressed and recorded. The variables that must be recorded are different for the PQR, WPS, and welder qualification. Each form must be signed by the contractor. Any form submitted without a signature is an indication the test records may not be factual or accurate. Thus, the person reviewing them has every reason to question the validity of the documents and should reject them. These are legal documents required by law when API 1104 (or other welding standard) is incorporated into a legal statue.

About the only individual that cannot sign a WPS, PQR, or WPTR, and the only individual that cannot witness the welder qualification or witness the welding of the test coupon (for the PQR), is an AWS CAWI (as prohibited by AWS QC1-2007).

Best regards - Al

Municipalities have their own peculiar form of entitlement on such matters.

"If you don't have time to do the job right the first time, when are you going to find time to repair it?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back