Reservoir Size Calculation for Sprinkler and Hydrant System 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mosarof

Mechanical
Jun 6, 2018
BD
Greetings everyone

I am working in a Fire Project which has both Sprinkler and Hydrant System .
Now i need to calculate the reservoir size. We are using a 1100 GPM Pump . I have checked NFPA codes , but couldn't find the exact way to calculation.

My queries are ,

1. Should i select the water demand for Which is greater between Sprinkler and Hydrant ?
2. Should i calculate the Reservoir size based on 150% pump rated Capacity ?
3. Our project fall in Ordinary Hazard (Group 1). So taking the time between 60-90 min is okay ? (I prefer to take 75min)

I am new to fire industry , so help would be appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Mr Hossain:

You should hire a fire protection consultant for this as it appears to be something you are not familiar with and getting wrong could go really bad.

First, not saying it doesn't exist, but I have not seen a listed fire pump at 1100 gpm. They are typically 1000 or 1250 gpm for that range.

1 - typically hydrant demand has greater flow and lower pressure demands than the fire sprinkler system. So, pump rating is typically to meet fire sprinkler system pressure. Pump capacity is to meet site fire flow demand in your case.

2 - Sizing the water supply will be driven by the requirements of your adopted building code. If you are using the I-codes, then look at appendix B of the IFC for your information.

3 - You don't get to pick any duration you want between 60-90 min. You need to read all of the section you are in and not just one or two lines then stop. The water supply durations are dependent on system monitoring method.

Again, this is something you should hire a consultant to help walk you through, or at least have a mentor in your office walk you through this process.

Travis Mack
MFP Design, LLC
"Follow" us at

Dear Travis Mack

Thank you for detailed reply. As i am new in this sector i am learning day by day .

I have sat with my office seniors who oversee the design departments . And i have learned a lot of new things .

One issue is that , can you point me to Specific part of NFPA 22 which i need to see about the Pump Being run at rated capacity .

Always remember that the NFPA is not a design guide, it is a code or standard. It is easy to loose the North on this because the NFPA 13 or others include drawings, appendixes, etc., with many design guiding issues, but if you want to be a good fire protection engineer, do engineering, never trust the code, only read it to see what you design is under the "law".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back