Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Residential Condenser Evaporative Precooler

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Pretty cool idea but I guess it would depend on how dry your area stayed, we have an average of 85%-90% humidity in our area. Ive thought of ideas like extra coils and fan assemblies pre-condenser but it would have to take some head pressure valves to work. So far though nothing beats Geo-Thermal and this could be a problem for those with bedrock at ground level and down to 20ft.

There was a very old-school rule of thumb that simply spraying the evaporator condensate onto the condensor coil gained you 5% capacity.

This was before energy cost money, so I don't recall an efficiency gain number.

In a pinch to get through an above design day with an air cooled condenser that had enjoyed better days, we've hooked up the lawn sprinkler to get us through a rough spell. Would'nt want to do it for an extended time, coils tend to lime up but it can get you out or a jamb.

I'm not a real engineer, but I play one on T.V.
A.J. Gest, York Int./JCI

I used to buy them for our MRI chillers that were going to areas such as Las Vegas, Phoenix, etc.

We never took real data as to performance gains, but they ran when it was 120 F on the roof.

Some guy in AZ built them for us but can't remember his name (I don't work for that company anymore). The pad was cellulose, it actually looked like the guy cut up cardboard boxes. A tstat would turn on a solenoid to admit water, and there was a needle valve for adjustment.

I am building a couple for my two home A/C units using PVC fill pads that come in 50' rolls.

YOu have to make sure the you have a WB temp of less than 80 or so, otherwise the drop in airflow due to the restriction does more harm than good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back