Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Residential Covered Porch with Slab-on-Ground Details

Status
Not open for further replies.

azogr

Structural
Feb 21, 2007
US
Hi all, I am looking for input on the best detail to use for a covered porch foundation. We will be using a slab on grade which will sit on a ledge in the existing concrete wall at the house side. At the outside I was originally planning to use a strip footing with block wall and over pour the slab. Is this the most economical detail or would something like a turned down slab be better? Our frost depth is 36" and there will be about 12" of reveal above grade. What is typically done in this situation? I am also concerned about the best way to anchor the posts and slab for uplift. Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Not addressing the uplift (maybe use the slab's weight)consider replacing current soil with a clean granular compacted fill to 3 or 4 feet, extended out 4 feet at bottom. Thus, no or minimal frost heave. Less than 5% P-200 is best, but even 10% P-200 is quite frost heave resistant. Even with a wall and footing, any frost susceptible soil under the slab is not good. Another alternative is place the slab on 3 inches of closed cell Styrofoam, but it must be extended out 4 feet to keep soil below the slab from freezing.

Edit: Of course that soil under the porch area is sufficiently firm for any option not using replacement with complicated fill, right? If not improve it or replace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back