Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Residential Deck Loading - Snow + Live? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

MCurry

Structural
Mar 19, 2003
US
I've been having an ongoing disagreement with a fellow engineer. Allowable stress load combinations in the IBC (require Dead + Live + Snow be considered. My associate says that combination does not occur, so does not design for it. I say he is violating Code.
Do you typically combine snow and live loads when designing exterior residential decks?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

JAE makes a good point regarding furniture e.t.c.

What happens if the client has large pot plants (for example) out on the deck and then it snows the design snow load, you will have excess live load even though no-one has accessed it.

I would think that allowing 10psf live load on top of the snow load may be prudent in this case.

The Australian code is much better in this case as it gives you percentages (depending on the use) of the total live load that should be considered 'permanent' load and you use this in combination with the transient loads such as snow (it does snow in some areas over there).

csd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back