Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Residential Design using Profiles

Status
Not open for further replies.

simonrr

Civil/Environmental
Oct 17, 2002
US
I am designing a subdivision and the first thing I am doing is laying out the streets. I am matching the proposed street as close to the existing grade as possible. Next, I am creating offsets for the Edge of Pavement(-0.25'), Back of Curb(-0.08'), and Back of Sidewalk(+0.25')lines. The number in the parentheses is the difference in elevation from the Finished Grade (FG) of the Road Centerline. The question I have is the following: Is there a way, when making these offsets, to attach the proposed elevation to the offset based on the Finished Grade Centerline Elevation that I have defined using the street profile? Meaning, when I offset to the Edge of Pavement (-0.25') from the FG Centerline (i.e. elev=700.00), is there a way the Autocad program can output an elevation of 699.75 at the same station as the 700.00 elevation.....

Can someone please help.....thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

1. Convert your road centerline to a 3d polyline by using the command from civil design menu "Terrain -3d polyline-create by elevation". You know the elevations from from your road profile. Once you have your 3d ployline, using the command "terrain - 3d polyline - create curb" you can offset the 3d line and enter the diffference in the elevation.

I have tried to use the Terrain-3D commands that you mentioned and I am not having a problem with the setup. I am having a problem with reading the elevations for the line that I had offset, which is the curb line. Is there a way I can outut certain elevations at certain points for the offset lines??

Use a dway Template
It takes some practice but is very useful.
If you follow the steps correctly you can create proposed road spot grade points for cross-sections as well as all of your proposed road contours.
All you need to start off with is a propsed road alignment and profile.

I hope this helps

Use a roadway template.
It takes some practice but is very useful.
If you follow the steps correctly you can create proposed road spot grade points for cross-sections as well as all of your proposed road contours.
All you need to start off with is a propsed road alignment and profile.

I hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back