Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Residential Leach Field has Wet-Spot

Status
Not open for further replies.

dec4trax

Geotechnical
Apr 22, 2002
US
Does anyone know what types of invetigation procedures and repairs are typically performed on a drain-field when there is a 10' diameter(septic) wet-spot in the middle of a large 100x100 leach-field (5 drain-pipes, each 100' long @ 20' c-c).

The soils are approx 7-10 feet deep, & free draining gravelly loam. The system is 15 years old and the 1250 gal tank has been pumped every 2 years. It has not been abused with oils, paints, fem products, etc. Nothing but waste. There are some trees adjacent to the drain-field that ?may? have caused root blockage of the exterior-most pipes.

What types of investigations / repairs are typically performed ?? Do the addatives work, or are they a scam ??

PLEASE HELP !! I want to have this fixed this before it gets any worse, and I am trying to learn something so I dont get scammed by "Dr. Septic Tank, et al."

Thank You !!!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There is some kind of problem with the system and it may pay you to have a local professional engineer to help you since this is most likely a state regulated facility and you dont want to be the owner of a failing system. The engineer will help you keep the contractor in line to make repairs and the expense should not be that great compared to the value you will get from their insight.

We really can answer you question here since an answer really depends upon being at your site and seeing what you are talking about. I am just afraid you may get Dr. Septic responses here that may end up costing you money and delay in fixing the problem...

BobPE

Thanks for the advice, but I have already gotten plenty the county sewage code officer..(none of which provided any specific recommendations or guidance, except to try and scare me...He wouldnt even recommend a contractor who has done good work (that he has inspected) in the past....I wish I hadnt even called him until I was ready to get the repair permit).

If you have investigated and or repaired these systems in the past, can you tell me what type of testing and repairs are TYPICALLY done?

Do they typically start digging test pits all over the yard and re-do the perc tests, or do they first try to locate the distribution box (which will be difficult) and look for blockage. Perhaps they start at the drain-pipe termination points, uncap the ends, and run a snake/cutter to find roots or blockage. Or do they cap the leaky drain pipe, and add another drain 20' c-c away from the end most drain ?

This is what I am trying to find out. What are the standard investigative procedures that would be followed by a professional in this field ?? Thanks!!

I am sorry to hear that the local inspector was being a regulator. That's unfortunate, but a fact of life in an era of lawsuits and shifting liabilities. You should seek out and engineering firm and have a true expert review the system and the problem(s), just as Bob recommends. It's not going to cost you a fortune but you will at least get an honest answer. Once completed, you can then hire a contractor to undertake the necessary repairs, and if you wish, have the engineer review his work.

I would never recommend going to the contractor first, it's like going to an automotive repair shop with a car that runs rough, admitting to knowing nothing about the car, and paying for an engine overhaul when spark plugs and a new fuel filter were all that were required.

KRS Services

the sewage code officer is not the person you need to be talking with, they usually do not know much about the systems.

As engineers we need to know a lot about the system, and you just cant give it all to us here in this forum. Like KRSServices said, you will pay a little now for an honest answer and save a lot latter for the correct repairs.

BobPE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back