Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Residential load calculations 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewOrleansPE

Civil/Environmental
Jun 11, 2008
US
Can anyone recommend a good step by step book/manual/guidance of residential wood structural calculations and the design process? (Wall PLF, footings, headers, shear walls, force on connections.
I'm looking for something that has a ton of example problems. I'm wondering if something like this exists.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

APAwood has some good stuff on plywood w/ examples.

IBC2006 has some info - esp to meet code

You might Google on "Residentail Design". There are some good books on the subject. Sorry can't remeber the titles.

Steel beams are not covered by the prescriptive IRC code, therefore require to be engineered.

Once designed, the beam can be supported on anything capable of carrying the applied loading. A properly connected, sized, and braced wood column can be used to support a steel beam.

That is acceptable if the wood column can carry the loads.

I usually recommend it in wood framed houses because the column and walls will shrink/grow at the same rate. If you have a steel column in a wood frmaed wall - the column will NEVER change lengths (except for temp extremes) whereas the new wood framing will likely shrink at first and then shrink/grow as the humidity changes from season to season.

Cuts down on drywall cracks....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back