Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Residential Lot Grading Plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

AD1970

Civil/Environmental
Jul 28, 2020
CA
I am primariliy involved with single family residential design and occassionaly provide lot grading plans as required for Building Permit submissions. The properties are mostly infill lots in existing established areas. I am currently involved with the design of a new house on a lot that faces a street and is surrounded on other three sides by private homes and vacant land. The lot is approximately one acre and very flat. The existing ditch on the street is very shallow. The design approach that I have taken is to provide swales along the back and sides of the property so that all drainage is directed to the street ditch. I have had to design a berm along the back property line to contain the swale and allow positive drainage to the street. The back slope of this berm will technically drain onto a neighbouring property, which is not allowed by local bylaw. Ths backslope is approximately 10' wide and 3' high and will be sodded.

I would appreciate any comments on this approach, as I don't see any alternatives other than asking the Town to provide a deeper ditch at the street. Is there a common practice that may be used here?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Whats the length?
Did you get the adjoining landowners opinions?
What is your assessment of what will happen to water drained from that 10ft wide area?

Statements above are the result of works performed solely by my AI providers.
I take no responsibility for any damages or injuries of any kind that may result.

Thanks for your response.

The total length of berm would be approximately 200 feet. We haven't received any comment from neighbouring landowners at this point. The majority of the adjacent land is a large parcel that is an open field but zoned for possible commercial development. At this point the drainage from the 10' strip would have a very minor impact on the large parcel; as the parcel is lower than our subject property and the berm will cause a net decrease of area that drains from our property to theirs.

Well these kinds of things can sound great and may even have advantages for all concerned, but even though, they can go very badly for all the wrong reasons in a heartbeat. Blindsiding adjacent landowners is the easiest way I know of to get caught up in a sticky ball of it.

I'd try to talk to the neighbours first, Do not bring your plans with you on the first meet. Tell them that you think something needs to be done in order to prevent potential runoff into their properties and ask them if they have any ideas. If they do, seriously consider them. Revise your plan if at all possible. If they don't, tell them you would like to work on it. Go away and come back in a week or two, but this time bring your drawings along. Explain what you came up with and how you considered their potential problems and how your plan avoids those things. Sell the advantages they will get from your plan and ask them what they might want to change to make it even better. If you can get them to buy into your idea, especially if they think it is their idea, you're pretty much home free. If not, go back to square one.

I take no responsibility for any damages or injuries of any kind that may result.

frankly i would not worry about 0.04 acres that drains in the original direction onto neighbors property. the runoff flow rounds to zero

The 1200 gallons from a 1" rain is not going to be the problem at all. The problem will start well before it rains a drop. Then after it is done, it won't do any good trying to prove you didn't change anything, because you did. If you are not going to change the end result, why change anything at all.

Thanks for your replies. You have both raised good points that I will consider as I move forwards with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back