Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Residential Power Plant Regulations

Status
Not open for further replies.

triage

Electrical
Apr 6, 2005
US
Does anyone here know of Federal Regulations regarding the installation and operation of a small scale residential off grid steam driven powerplant?

Aside from the building permits and design codes for pressure vessels, etc.

I am trying to specifically learn about the existance or nonexistance of Governmental Regs.

Guidance and help is much appreciated. I have been bogged down and dead ended in trying to search gov docs on this topic.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you are in the US, Look at FERC regulations for small power producers and requirements for utilities regarding interconnections. Basically, the utility has to accept the power, but YOU will have to bear any costs required for modifications required to the power system.

But if you're making steam, you must be burning something, so your big deal will be air quality, noise and other permitting.

DPC
Tracking Concentrating Solar Trough assisted by LPG.

10Kw System

Interconnections are not my concern, because the system is Off Grid.

I have seen small references that there are some federal regulations pertaining to the operation of steam based powerplants and am trying to due diligence for compliance.

There are mechanical/boiler codes that become law when adopted by your state or local government.

You will have permitting issues, I suspect.

You might post a more specific question in one of the Mechanical forums.

dpc,
I will try to look into the state (AZ) codes.

Oddly, I also posted this question to the Mechanical power Piping forum and have email indicating replies, but the thread has gone missing and the email link return "no page available".

I don't know if it was removed by a forum monitor, but I was not notified if it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back