Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Residential spread footings rebar

Status
Not open for further replies.

RustyTools

Mechanical
Feb 23, 2005
US
I have to add 2 spread footings to the center of my house, one to hold 9,000 lbs and the other 23,000 lbs. I have a spread footings design using a rebar size I can't get, so I am looking for advice on how to do the footings using 1/2" diameter rebar.

The soil capacity is 3000 psf. The footing for 9000 lbs will be 2'x 2' and the footing for 23,000 lbs will be 3' x 3'. Both would be 1' thick. What would you recommend for spacing for 1/2" rebar?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

RustyTools,

What was the rebar size and spacing in the design that you have? With that information, it would be relatively easy to come up with an equivilant design.

The original design was #5 rebar 12"O.C. That was done by rule of thumb, not by calculation. The 3000 psf is based on coarse, granular sand and that the builder built the rest of the neighborhood based on that

To get the same area per unit width of footing the 0.5 inch (#4) bars need to be installed every ~7.5 inches. Since the original design was based on "rule of thumb" this is probably more than you need, however, in this case more is better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back