Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Residential Tap of 24" of PCCP-Prestressed Concrete Cylinder Pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.

tehparadox86

Civil/Environmental
Dec 7, 2016
US
I am building a new single family home. There is a 24" PCCP watermain that is in front of the house, but the local water authority's permit person told me that I can't tap into the 24" PCCP line because they don't allow home taps to mains that large. There are several homes along the block. Anyone have experience in this issue?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The transmission main delivers water from the supply source to the distribution system. The source may be a well, a treatment plant clear well, or a purchased water connection. The length of these lines vary by the location of the source, and whether water is transported by gravity or pumping.

A transmission main's purpose is to deliver water to the distribution system, and usually does not have any service connections. The size will depend on peak daily flow, as well as whether or not additional source wells or storage facilities exist in the system. Water transmission pipes are generally quite large and are often constructed with a steel cylinder interior due to the sheer size and expense associated with transmission mains

Water mains 20 inches and larger, as well as any 16 inch main are generally designated a transmission main.

Allowing small connections to a transmission main increases the risk for that transmission main to fail. Once you allow a single connection there is no method for allowing some to connect and others not to connect. These are just some of the reasons XXXXXX does not allow single service connections to transmission mains.

Technically you can't make a tap connection to a PCCP pipe.

A Prestressed Concrete Cylinder Pipe has a thin steel cylinder spun with cement mortar internally say 1.5 to 2" thick and prestressed concrete externally (the structural layer normally prestressing wires in one direction and spiral/loop reinforcement in the other direction). The steel cylinder may be welded (then sealed) to form a continuous section so that the resulting dead weight can eliminate the need of a thrust block.

Such pipe is under high pressure so a penetration through all three layers will certainly destroy the integrity of the PCCP.

Thanks! the local municipality told me that I must apply for a variance and get it reviewed. I'll supply the information for PCCP taps to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back