Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Residual Oil Heat Exchanger 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrcohen

Mechanical
Jan 11, 2008
US
We need to design a heating skid for residual fuel oil (no. 6) as part a fuel conversion for an industrial gas turbine. Steam would be used for heating. Does anyone have experience on a general type of heat exchanger that would be appropriate for this application or, alternatively, can anyone recommend a vendor that is knowledgable in designing a residual fuel oil heating skid?

The fuel oil conditions are as follows: the residual oil is to be heated from 120 F to 265 F using steam; the oil flow rate is 65 gpm; the oil viscosity at 212 F is 40 cSt. Approximate required heat input is 2.5e6 Btu/hr.

Any other useful advice for this application would be welcome. Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

These skids are available from a relatively small number of suppliers who supply the marine and power industry for Residual oil systems.

Be sure to visit the ones who supply for engine service and not just for burners. Burner fuels are far less well treated than for engines even though they are supplied as the same fuel. Burners are very tolerant of a host of fuel wquality problems while engines are not. The list I give is for engine module suppliers. Many of them are the preferred suppliers for one or other of the engine manufacturers.

They can include the oil filters, heaters, pumps, meters, centrifuges etc. I guess they would also supply the Automatic hot filters.

You can choose from the following:
MAS (KuWo (Aura Marine (Smith Koch (the only US company I know off) (Alstom (not sure if they still do or buy in) (CC Jensen, you may have to contact them to ask them since there website doesn't specify but they do, or did (MARIN (ELWA : (Efting: (L&K: (DAGIN: (China) (Midcom: (er, and a few more.
These companies are pretty difficult to find through Google without you know the precise search terms so if you want more, come back to me.

There is only one thing I'd say: be sure to ask which fuel heater control viscometer they use. Some still use the traditional twin capillary sensors. They do so because while cut to the bone competitive for the modules, many rely on the aftersales service and calibration for the viscometers. Insist on a vibrating element viscometer and I'd suggest that you insist on either the VAF Viscosence 2 or the 7829 ViscoMaster Advanced (with density and viscosity.... they also offer the 7829 Dynamic which does not have density. You need density for fuel oil quality checks... you compare the density and viscosity to the fuel analysis... and it also gives you the density at 98C which is your centrifuge operating temperature... this tells you whether it is just an expensive pump or is actually cleaning up the fuel.)

JMW

Wilda,

I am located in the US. My office is in the Upstate NY, my company also has an office in Florida.

Any specific vendor contacts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back