Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Residual Static Loading

Status
Not open for further replies.

Civil/Environmental
Apr 6, 2009
PH
Hi to everyone! I dont know how to compute for the residual static loading of a transmission line, can someone help!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm not sure I understand what you want. Is this an electrical term? I do structures for the local power company and have not heard the term residual static loading applied to transmission lines. Is this a structural engineering question?

OK, I should have used Google before responding. I guess I have heard of the term and it is used to determine if the tower line might be subject to a cascade failure when a wire is broken.

You can get a copy of ASCE Manual of Practice 74 which talks about it. The second edition is currently the latest but the third edition is currently at the printing company and should be available soon. I am on the committee that revised the manual and you might be able to talk to some knowledgeable people at the ASCE/SEI ETS conference in Ft. Worth on Nov 8, 2009.

Well, I'm not a member of the ASCE & I cannot join the conference because I live here in some part of Asia.

Is the RSL mainly related to everyday tension loading or does it consider wind loading also in the computation?

As I recall, the RSL is a load case applied as a longitudinal (along the line) load to insure that the tower can withstand a broken wire condition so that the line will not cascade. In a broken wire condition, the tower closest to the break will probably fail and as it does the next tower might fail. The RSL load case should insure that the tower has enough longitudinal capacity to stop a cascade. There was a famous cascade case up north where several hundred towers cascaded after a broken conductor event.

You should be able to buy ASCE Manual 74 online at the ASCE web site and you do not have to be a member. You may want to wait a couple of months because the new edition is at the printer now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back